Squeeeeeeaky oven fan

We have a 2 year old Indesit fan assisted double oven.

Lately, the fan has been really squeaky (only when the oven gets really hot).

I can see 4 screws to remove the plate in front of the fan, so I can get at it easily enough.

I'm thinking about trying to lubricate it to de-squeak it, but I'm not sure what to use....presumably a standard lubricant like WD40 would make food cooked in the oven afterwards smell like.....WD40. Which would be bad.

Any good ideas?

Cheers, Keith.

Reply to
Keith

WD40 is not a good lubricant (for anything)

Use a Molybdenum grease if you can - if the bearings are too hard to get at then use oil to soak into the sintered metal bearings. I think you will find the motor is behind the oven. You will need to remove the front plate to remove the fan and access the screws that hold the motor. Are you able to check if the noise is the motor and not the fan binding on a panel?

Reply to
John

A fan hitting a panel is likely to sound more like a rattle. Mine did. Worth checking though. You'll see signs of abrasion if its been doing it for a while. Mine needed a change in a washer to alter its position. The rear panel might have been bent through bumping by a heavy pan or casserole.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

When ours started to do this, it turned out to just be the fixing bolts which had vibrated loose, allowing the blades to just touch the surrounding metal at certain temperatures.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In message , John writes

If the fan uses sintered bearings (which run on a film of oil) applying grease will just clog the bearing up

If it runs on ball races, it depends on how badly worn the bearings are

Really, which ever, the bearings should be replaced (assuming that the shaft hasn't been taken out too)

Reply to
geoff

the food so smell isn't a problem. My suggestion of Moly Grease was based on the fact that the heat will melt it and allow it to soak into the bearings - although - if not - it will provide a lasting lubrication and take up some of the slack caused by wear. I accept it is not an approach for a new sintered bearing.

Reply to
John