Square boxes on web sites

I can't find an example at the moment, but occasionally I come across web sites where I see a small white square on the page, with what appear to be randomly located tiny black filled squares inside - a little similar to a crossword puzzle.

Anyone know what they might be for?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You mean like?:

John Rumm

They're two-dimensional bar codes, you scan them with the camera on a smartphone and they can e.g. take you straight to a web site or give you a short pice of information such as a contact details.

Reply to
Andy Burns

QR codes - smartphones usually have a reader app. They can encode anything - but typically it's a URL, and the smartphone will take you straight there. I use them to give out to prospective students, with our Facebook page URL.

Not just on websites - I've seen Sainsburys adverts in the newspaper that include them. And a cookery programme on TV.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

..and it has just been on a cookery program (BBC 1), which was what triggered the question :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

There is a DIY connection - I saw a QR sticker on a plastic shed in Costco. It linked to a Youtube video showing how to erect it.

Reply to
Reentrant

Sometimes I wonder whether the entire user-side domain name system will be obsolete in three years and everyone will be using Facebook names.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I doubt it.

What do you think the life-cycle of a social networking website is?

I'm going to guess that facebook will be gone within 10 years.

But DNS will not.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

  +1

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

Group of young girls on the train the other day, one of them said "Facebook's boring..."

Quite so.

Reply to
Huge

I can remember thinking that about the Web.

That was using Lynx dialled into cix though.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

QR code

djc

Problem is they are not human readable. Some fun can be had by generating your own and substituting that for a real one. Though that also tends to show that very few people ever scan them.

Reply to
djc

May be what your browser does with images it cant load.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher