Spying on garden beasties

You can usually set them for either stills or video. Some will also do time lapse. They are a bit more expensive than the one the OP linked to though. A couple of sites that sell them:

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

That is well overpriced and is indoor only. Through a window all you'd see is the room behind the cam, the ir leds would bounce off the window and cause glare. You can get proper outdoor cams for less.

Reply to
Bob E

Perhaps the dog owners prefer areas where untrimmed hedges provide better cover for their "walking"?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm prepared to risk an indoor one in a very sheltered outdoor position, especially if you can show me a cheaper one with the same resolution & remote zoom and pan.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

We, or rather my daughter already has one (a Bushnel iirrc) but that's not going to provide a live feed which is what I really want.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In message , Sam Plusnet writes

I said it is curious:-)

Thorns in doggy paws possibly. Alternatively they don't like being choked off for letting their pets roam at will so go somewhere else for a bit.

I stop if I see them coming. Bright Sunlight/dirty windows or working from the side away from the path can be a bit fraught. Flail hedgers can easily fling chunks of wood 20m or so.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

And make a right mess of the hedge. Let 'em grow up for a few years then get out there and have good lay. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Fine when you were employing 3 staff on a 100 acre holding and they had little to do in the winter months. Also needed for stock proof boundaries so had a value beyond appearance.

Once laid, how to you manage future growth? Flails will work but only

*down the grain* otherwise they grab and eat chunks of hedge.

Current encouragement (financial) is to trim bi- or tri- annually. My hedges are old; having a mix of species. You simply cannot trim Elder, Hazel, Ash eg. less than annually without a huge mess.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

years

One of the estates near here laid some old hedge row a couple of years back. Looks good, stock proof as you say and now has top growth

2 or 3' long. Few more years it'll 10 to 15' high and be ready for laying again.

Fairly sure you just leave 'em n years the lay them again. This does mean you might have to get out of the Land Rover when doing the stock inspection as you wouldn't be able to see over.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

What's you current staff/acre figure?

Very interesting. The problem round here with hedges and fences is the poachers, who tear holes in them to get vehicles through.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I doubt you'd get a 4x4 through a mature, laid hedge...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm now a *slipper* farmer so not a proper example:-)

When I reared cattle and grew cereals I suppose 1/100acres. The tenant farmer next door was cropping about 750 acres with 1 harvest casual!

Ditches:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I'll take some pictures. What they do is look for a bit of a gap which is probably filled with fencing, and widen it. I've also see it where they've just ploughed through a newly planted hedge. They are selfish bastards.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

The industry has changed beyond recognition.

Well, that's what's happening. Miles and miles of them.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

We used the Acorn Ltl-6210MC 940nm

Which can be found here:

Murmansk

I picked up one, which appears very similar, from Aldi for about half that price. Might be worth watching their lists.

No interesting life spotted so far. Putting it into auto produced an interesting time lapse showing autumn leaf fall.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon