Spurs off a ring main

Hi,

I have a ring main in my kitchen with 7 double sockets with a spur for an under unit light. My questions is can I take a spur off 2 of the double sockets to create 2 more double sockets?

The ring main goes back to my consumer unit which has a 32 amp fuse.

I need the spurs to relocate some of my applicence therefore not all of the sockets will be used at the same time.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers,

James

Reply to
JGralton

The message from snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com contains these words:

As I understand it, you can only have a single fitting off a spur. So /two/ double sockets on one spur is out.

One double on each of two different sockets should be OK.

Reply to
Guy King

The latter is what I understood to be the OP's intention ...

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

The message from Stuart contains these words:

I thought so too - which was why mentioned it!

Reply to
Guy King

All seems a bit silly these days when most people have at least a dozen things plugged in behind their tv and computer

Reply to
BBNews

The message from BBNews contains these words:

Ah, but that's done with dodgy socket strips, so it's OK.

Reply to
Guy King

But they /are/ protected by a 13a (or lower) fuse. Several sockets loaded to

3kw on a spur with 2.5mm wiring will overload the fixed wiring.
Reply to
<me9

The message from contains these words:

Shouldn't do - that's what the 32A breaker in the fusebox is for!

Reply to
Guy King

Dodgy? Pish and tush, Sir, I have splendid Olson strips in my study. 3 x 12 way ones.

Reply to
Huge

That's not OK, then. You have to use dodgy ones!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Two double sockets with 3 outlets loaded to 3 kw will put ~36A on the 2.5mm cable, well above it's required capacity of 20A. a 32A breaker is unlikely to trip for a looooong time, leading to damaged fixed wiring.

Reply to
<me9

The message from Guy King contains these words:

But the spur is in effect a radial circuit and radials in 2.5mm have 20A MCBs.

Reply to
Roger

The message from contains these words:

Sorry, I thought we were talking about a ring circuit. Yes, on a spur it will - but that's why you're not allowed more than one double socket on a spur!

Reply to
Guy King

What about a switched fused spur?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes this is what I was looking to do. One double as a spur off of two different sockets on the ring main.

Cheers for all the comments,

James

Reply to
JGralton

You can have as many sockets as you like on a fused spur, provided you don't expect the total load to exceed 13 A.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Of course, if they are not far apart, and it's easy to run a cable between them, just incorporate them into the ring...

Reply to
Bob Eager

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 10:59:15 +0100 someone who may be The Natural Philosopher wrote this:-

Then that part of the circuit changes from an unfused spur to a fused spur. On a fused spur one can do all sorts of things that are not allowed on an unfused spur.

Of course on a fused spur one must put one's finger in the air and evaluate the likely diversity of loads on the spur. Otherwise it may become something of a nuisance when the protective device operates frequently. One also has to look at issues of the earth loop impedance of the cable size.

Reply to
David Hansen