Spur direct from Consumer Unit?

Hi, this is a follow on from my recent garage door post. I have the supplier's electrician due to visit soon and I don't want him to have any excuses for not finishing the job there and then. ATM the electrically operated door is being powered via an extension lead. There is an 8 way fused CU right beside the door. All the ways are in use. There's one double socket at the other end of the garage. I'm guessing that this socket is part of the downstairs power ring.

Is it feasible to take a fused spur direct from this CU to power the door?

-- Regards, Dick Treen

Reply to
treenoakio

Wasn't this answered in the original thread? Yes, a spur can be taken from a ring circuit at its origin in the CU, and so can a branch from a radial circuit. It would be logical to choose the circuit which already supplies other points in the garage.

Provided that the existing earthing and main bonding arrangements are OK this is a straightforward job. If they aren't, or are wired to older standards the electrician may insist on improving or updating them, because the safety of their new work depends on them. On completion you should receive a minor electrical installation works certificate covering the addition and including test results (insulation resistance and earth fault loop impedance) for the whole of the modified circuit.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Yes, thank you, it was in the main. There was just the added context of the viability of using a fully populated CU which I wanted to clarify. I realise that the spur would be taken from an existing circuit but regulations can be tricky so I wanted to be sure.

Thanks for to clarification.

-- Regards, Dick Treen

Reply to
treenoakio