spring water tests

possibly OT but I intend to DIY the follow-on system so:-

Anyone know what I should expect to pay for a laboratory drinking water anaylsis on our spring water? Seems we have acidity and Iron at the least........ NB We're in West Yorks.

Thanks Jim

Reply to
jim

When we lived in the UK (Suffolk) our 'general' test, which covered nitrates, micro-organisms, and a few other things (can't remember now..) was between 100 and 200 pounds. I had a tidy out last month and ditched all the records & reports...

Thing is - the lab will test for whatever you ask them to test for (and charge accordingly)..... and it's knowing what you want tested that's half the battle

Strictly speaking, you'd want to re-test after installing whatever treatment you decide on, to prove to your satisfaction that your water is now OK.

We had a defective UV filter on our UK installation, which only showed up as an unacceptable high reading on 'bugs' (?cryptosporidium?) - and so we did a lab re-test after installing a new filter.

Something relatively simple like pH you can test yourself - we can tell when our dosing chemical has run out because the dreaded 'blue ring' reappears in the bath !

I understand that you don;t want to spend more than you have to - but I wouldn't want to take chances with someting as fundamental as drinking water supply. If / when you come to sell the property you can expect that certs of analysis will be asked for

After all, the water's basically 'free' - so it's worth spending a little to make sure that you're doing the necessary treatments.

Just my two-pennorth Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

We're going to have to get our private water supply tested by the local authority soon, as we're going to be taking paying guests.

I looked a few months ago and ISTR that my local authority charges around £70 for this test. I'm sure the test won't be terribly fancy, but I'm not bothered about getting it tested for myself - only to meet the B&B requirement.

We have a well, which has been used for many years apparently without problems - there is no treatment of the water (other than that which the rock and soil provides). I believe that using spring water/surface water is a bit different (and potentially dodgier) so I probably would be interested in getting a better test if that's what I was using.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

Spring water is different from well water. Springs can be shallow and subject to variable quality as a result. This is particularly relevant for bugs, coliforms and E Coli are the standard indicator organisms. A one-off test on a spring is just that - the water quality was what it was at the time of the test.

if the spring is shallow beneath grazing land then bugs from cattle and sheep could be an issue.

Also, looking at the chemical aspects, nitrates could be an issue.pH is usually undertaken as a standard test. Really more details of the situation are required before one can recommend a suite of analysis. Only then can the cost be estimated.

I can't recall now whether it was W Yorks or S Yorks EHOs that used to be quite well informed about the quality of private supplies in their areas. Has your supply ever been tested by the local Authority EHO. They are responsible for this.

Reply to
Clot

sorry for delay - been away!

Well, (no pun intended) the land above the spring is farmland with a couple of horses, further up are some cows on rotation with other fields, no chemical fertilising that I am aware of, and that's about it. Of course the water may equally well come from anywhere in the hillside..and the story would be the same as reagrds livestock and land use - so your comments on bugs are apt.

We already have a UV system and sediment filters so hopefully (as long as I keep changing the tube) that aspect is covered.

Locally, iron is very common in springs and streams, some very bright orange out-flows can be seen around the valley usually from old mine workings here and there - (clay, coal). In the primary tanks up the hill above us, there is always a layer of orangey/brown sediment coating the tanks and pipes, it is easily disturbed and from my researches I would expect that to be soluble iron salts that have reacted with aeration of the water and the resulting insoluble salts have dropped out of solution. Our sediment filters trap a lot of this and at rainy times of the year our water can taste a bit metallic and in flood can be a little hazy too. We generally switch to (previously) bottled until after a day or so all is clearer and taste improves once again.

As regards testing by EHO, not in the 7 years we have been here altho the spring does have a number as mentioned in the deeds. When we bought it we had a respected water treatment firm round who did a "briefcase" test, he was surprised at the quality and sold us only the UV and sediment filters! House is 200+yrs old and has always been supplied by the same spring, until we came there was one 'candle' filter !!

The apparent pH issue (blue rings in baths and SWMBO's highlights turning green in bath) is the one I am hoping to address in due course now.

Hope that illuminates things enough..

Thanks to all for comments so far Jim

Reply to
jim

Keep changing the tube - that is important!

Aah, just as I suspected. I used to work for a water utility. Years ago, it had quite a few springwater sources serving rural communities. Due to the variation in water quality with the seasons and weather, we closed these sources down to protect consumers from the risk of being served with bacterially unsatisfactory water. Despite the use of the uv tube, under the adverse weather conditions you describe I think that you could be at risk and your precaution in using bottled water at those times is wellfounded.

Also, due to the cessation of pumping out many of the former mines, groundwater levels are rising and quality of water could be compromised. In some areas, the Coal Authority is now putting in treatment systems to remove the iron prior to water being discharged to surafce water, (you could look this up on their website). I'm sure I saw something there about this - could have been in an annual report.

You would most likely find out if iron is an issue in the house by discoloration of clothing in the washing machine!

I think it could be advisable to have a word with the EHO - again try their website - probably under Environmental Health. They are charged with the responsibility of monitoring private supplies like this. Are there others nearby using springwater - the EHOs should know and again should know if there are issues due to any monitoring they carry out or queries that have been raised.

Scaling in the bath could actually be copper - being dissolved in the hot water cylinder tank.

Hope this helps,

Clot

Reply to
Clot

thanks that is all very interesting.

especially

as we have never had any bother with discoloured washing.....perhaps the iron issue is not as bad as I expected..

Blue rings in bath & green highlighted hair:- So far I am fairly certain the cause is copper from the pipes dissolving in the periodically acidic water, especially exacerbated by the heat in the (copper) DHW cylinder - could it be anything else?

thanks Jim

Reply to
jim

It is the most likely cause.

Regards

Clot.

PS. Feel free to ask, I will help if I can.

Reply to
Clot

thanks:-

earlier you said:-

By "responsible" can you clarify please?

I gather I have to pay them for any and all tests and they can

*advise* me to make improvements as necessary - can they enforce and potentially leave me with a "situation"?

ta Jim

Reply to
jim

I am uncertain about their powers of enforcement, which I suspect you are concerned about (as I would be), but your primary concern is about you and yours health? Here's a lead

have "number withheld" or could set it and call them.

As I understand the legislation re private supplies for potable supplies, the local authority is obliged to undertake sampling - at their expense, at a limited frequency.

I've not checked the full extent of the legislation regarding private supplies, but I do know from experience that LAs are very wary of their powers in this area, though those in the S Yorks area are more informed than others in England.

I was wringing my hands whilst thinking before prodding the keyboard. I appreciate your situation.

Reply to
Clot

Responding to another poster got me thinking of your position. The link below outlines the current legislation and powers of the local authorities with regard to such supplies.

HTH

Clot

Many thanks for the pointers - although this is Scottish I expect the rest of us will not be far behind!

Kind of takes me back to my original question - what will doing "appropriate" tests privately cost me? to determine what I may or may not want bureaucrats to "find out" when/ if they perform their duties in a professional manner...

Jim

Reply to
jim

Looking on that website again just now I came upon this document - will keep you reading for ages!

don't have to have the local EHO take the sample. You could try Alcontrol (was part of Yorkshire Water originally). Now a private laboratory. I think that they could both take the sample and do the analysis. The price will depend upon sampling and analysis required.

I'm guessing but would suspect that the cost would be circa £200 if they did the sampling and analysis. I suggest you give them a call , after reading the hefty tome!

Clot