Spraying bitumen emulsion

I need to apply a large amount of synthaprufe onto new concrete blockwork. At least two coats on 75 sq metres. Some of it will be above head height (up to2.7m) I've been wondering about spraying it on with a cheapy HVLP sprayer, hopefully to speed up the job and not needing a step ladder.

Has anyone does this or got any tips to pass on or shall I go and get a cheap disposable roller and long handle?

Tia

Bob

PS if you are reading this Chris O, then you will know what the next stage of the project is!!

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Spraying any emulsion carries the risk of destabilising it. The sudden high shear applied as it leaves the nozzle is where the problem lies. Maybe you will get away with it, but I think their technical helpline will not recommend it.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

Ha han, no offence, but I've just had a vision of "Brer Rabbit & the Tar Babby"!

That's what I'd do, or possibly get someone else to do it!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I used a competors product, and its thick black and smelly stuff. you will be very tired after getting that lot on. You have to fill all the pores in the blockwork, else it don't work, so its a slow carefull job, not a 10 minuite one.

Once thing I learnt, its is a *LOT* easier at 25 degress C on a wall in direct summer sunlight, than on a shaded wall at 5 degrees C

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Hi Rick,

It sounds like you were using a bitumastic paint type product(?) if it was that hard to apply and temperature sensitive The emulsions I've used before (Synthaprufe and Aquaprufe) are quite limpid and diluted further for the first coat which helps penetrate pores in the blocks.

regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin