Spray gun for painting fences

Anyone know where I can hire or buy a cheap spray gun to paint my outside fence???

I dont have the time to paint it it myself and it would take to long anyway

Reply to
John Wilson

I would buy a cheapish garden sprayer - probably the handheld type with pump on the top to compress the air inside -about £10. At that price it is effectively disposable. You could use one of the type with hose and lance but I don't think it's worth it unless you have a lot of fence.

I did try one of the airless electric types but found it useless, so it went back.

I have a spray gun that runs with an airline and used that for painting a cabin in multiple light coats of Jotun paint.

However, I don't think that it's worth buying or even renting this gear if you are planning to use one of the typical garden water based paints (e.g. Cuprinol). I think that the simple hand sprayer is the most time/cost effective way to do the job.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You could try one of these

Rob Morley

Plenty of airless guns in the sheds.

But most who've tried them say not to bother - it's just easier with a brush.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

FWIW I have a Wanner electric airless sprayer that has proved perfectly capable of spraying cellulose car paints with a finish that is more than acceptable.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

I guess I'm the exception. I've found airless electric sprayers to be very effective for shed/fence painting and bearable for other jobs with enamel?cellulose paint if you're prepared to accept an "orange peel" finish. The viscosity is very critical(LOW!!) and making up an 8" copper tube extension to the nozzle which enables you to spray up/down and around corners can be useful. I'd never go back to using a brush for shed or fence painting. Overspray is a problem however.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

cheers mate, I just ordered the one from screwfix.com

Should get it by Tuesday

Reply to
John Wilson

Wicks do one of those for just this purpose at about 13 to 14 quid...

(don't use the dregs of a tin of wood preserver though, or you will be forever unblocking the sodding thing of tiny bits of rust.... DAMHIK)

Reply to
John Rumm

If it's an airless type you need exceptionally clean and fluid paint. Any lumps or dirt blocks them straight away. Best to strain it first.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)