Spray for keeping tools un-rusty

Is WD40 actually the right thing for this? I.e. a spray for tools that live in non-ideal conditions? Most of my tools get used enough that they don't get rusty but there are some of the rarely used ones that could do with some protection out in the garage through winter.

Reply to
Chris Green

I think ACF-50 is recommended, but I've always baulked at the price.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Make one of these:

ss

My uncle, who was an excellent carpenter, kept a tin of varnish. After using a tool he would dip into to this. Never a bit of rust.

Reply to
Broadback

A very thin smear of light grease is the traditional solution which still seems to work well and is very cheap.

Reply to
Chris B

On reflection that advice is primary for Garden tools and might not be so applicable for other sorts of tools.

Reply to
Chris B

A bit difficult for sets of hex bits and such, and it's a bit difficult to smear sockets (as in socket set spanner sockets).

I have several hundred sockets around the place, mostly on racks, a quick spray is what I need! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

I use WD40 and it works fine.

Reply to
Huge

What you want is VCI (Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor) paper to wrap the tools in. It can be reused proving you don't rip it to pieces. But it isn't cheap! This roll should last you a week or two...

Jeff Layman

I've got some BoeShield which was hard to find online and not cheap. Having said that it seems to work and a can lasts forever.

Reply to
Tim Watts

That's just overoriced white spirit with a trace of oil. Just use oil, it's how Chinese manufacturers protect tools from corrosion.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I use WD40 on my garden tools. Perfect. Just watch you don't miss any bits.

Reply to
harry

Me too.

This is the time of year (cold nights, humid days) condensation on metal surfaces, particularly big lumps of machined metal on saw tables etc. gather a patina of rust.

I go over mine with a cup wheel wire brush in the *angle grinder* on low speed. Then a waft of WD40 keeps them clear for weeks.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I use the marine version of AC50 on my boat - superb stuff

Reply to
rick

WD40 totally evaporates eventually and stuff still goes rusty.

Waxoyl spray cans for cars, if they still do it, is good but messy. Motorbike chain grease spray (Halfords) is just as good.

Reply to
therustyone

Drivel. It evaporates leaving an oily film.

harry

Not IME.

Reply to
Huge

Sounds interesting where do they sell Drivel?

Reply to
jake

+1. Harry was right about this (for once)
Reply to
newshound

I must have been using a cheap imitation.

Reply to
therustyone