Spray foam insulation.

From watching cable TV programmes like Holmes on Homes and the like, it seems that this spray-on foam insulation is the creme de la creme. Does anyone have any experience of using it in the UK? I was thinking of in a cellar, but in the loft too, seeing as I have just been spending some quality time up there lately.

Cheers.

Reply to
David Paste

This has been covered before - google(groups) might turn up something.

In essence, for the roof, it may work, but when you need to retile or fix the roof, you will be screwed.

It may or may not cause rot if used on a timber roof without ensuring adequate ventilation which is 50mm under the sarking or 25mm under Tyvek breathable membrane.

In short - it's a bodge and you will probably regret it.

The cellar is a different case - can't comment on that.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In my house I used a far more ecologically sound insulation.

I used spray in recycled newsprint .... goes in like grey snow, sets like Madeira cake ... incredible insulation, fills all voids & gaps. Rot, vermin & fireproof .... and 100% recycled ...

(Warmcell is the trademark)

Rick Hughes

Yeah, I'd seen the postings about the roof - but the latest posts I saw were several years old and so I wondered if anything had changed in that time. I understand about it being used as a bodge though. It must have some merit, or the Canucks wouldn't go for it so much - a lot of their housing stock is wooden construction and for obvious reasons they appreciate nicely insulated houses. And although they don't generally have 'old' houses, they are capable of lasting for

100+ years, so the rot-trap aspect must also have been sorted.

Cheers Tim,

David.

Reply to
David Paste

I wouldn't give too much credit to the idea of "it must have been sorted".

Pikies will still offer to tarmac your drive with 5mm of tarmac and it will still fall off, same as 30 years ago ;->

Reply to
Tim Watts

NT

So you=92re thinking of have your roof space sprayed with foam insulation, sounds like a good idea from the seller. Just ask them how you repair the roof if it needs doing after. Or in the near future how do you remove the foam when the roof needs replacing.

The cost of a single one tile or slate will cost you a fortune, as every thing is stuck to gather. To replace one item the foam as to be stripped off from inside from the rafter, tile battens and the tile or slate approx 600mm or 2 feet in all directions to release the holding power to get one tile or slate out. If the roof requires re placing at any time then it=92s a spade job to release the foam from the rafters and possible damage to other parts of the roof construction. It will cost you about three times as much to replace.

Be warned.

Reply to
Kipper at sea

Reply to
Kipper at sea

Well, thanks for the input, but I wasn't thinking of getting the roof done, I was interested in the cellar and the loft. Another poster, Rick Hughes, mentioned another system to consider.

Reply to
David Paste

The info I sent was for the underside of the attic or loft roof. Where else in the loft was you intending to use it, on the walls or the floor of the loft ?.

Reply to
Kipper at sea

Walls.

Reply to
David Paste

Interesting

Reply to
Kipper at sea

Not terribly.

Reply to
David Paste

If you mean a gable end wall, it'd be easier and less messy to batten it out and fit Celotex to it. If you don't mean a gable end wall, then please could you describe your loft, as I can't visualise where other exterior walls would be.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Brace yourself, I've got a revelation for you.

Third word of the above.

My loft has... MORE THAN ONE! external wall.

Presume. Lofts. Equal. Don't.

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Paste