Spot light problem ?

Righto straigh to the point :) for once

I wired up a 4 bar\light gu10's spot light job about 2 years ago to my bedroom. Worked flawlessly for 2 years now, blew the occasional bulb though. Today turned it on and POOF all bulbs blew so I thought. It triped the fuse aswell!

I changed all the bulbs and still it won't work. I did flip the fuse switch back down too.

I checked behind the dimmer smitch for any problems and is as I wired it. Red, black, earth all where it should be.

So I guess this leaves the actual light unit. I can't get up at it as I have a injured back at the moment.

What is the likely cause of this failing ?

Reply to
Peter smith

A "Touch" dimmer uses different circuitry and is better able to cope with these type of bulbs. You also get a soft start so they last longer.

Reply to
John

most likely the dimmer's died.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Yep. NORMALLY they blow short, so maybe a rack has gone as well.

Mind you if it was a dimmer, it could be the transformer..its normal to have an electronic transformer for dimmers...

First step is to replace dimmer by a switch, or hardwire them 'on' and use the consumer unit circuit breaker as a switch. If that don't work, the transformer is kaput.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not sure if my reply was posted. Touch Dimmers are better with spot bulbs as they can better withstand the surge when a bulb fails.

also give a soft start.

Reply to
John

Correct. As I found out today. New one on and working again :)

Reply to
Peter smith

Ahhh. Being a plank I left the electric on when putting the new dimme ron for some stupid reason! I think I'm getting senile. I got a bit of a shock, I'll live. I think it's time I give up my DIY days being a old fart and leave it to a professional.

Reply to
Peter smith

*** Lord Finchley tried to mend the Electric Light Himself. It struck him dead: And serve him right! It is the business of the wealthy man To give employment to the artisian. ***
Reply to
Frank Erskine

No transformer on GU10s - mains voltage halogens.

Reply to
John Rumm