sporadic low pressure warning mode on Triton Shower?

following on from earlier questions about Triton Showers ... our model (X300si) has a 'low pressure' warning mode. In this mode, a light flashes and the heating element is switched off. Ours has started going into this mode regularly in the mornings. The pressure hasn't changed and it seems to be fine a little later in the day. I've turned the stopcock up a bit without effect; also I replaced the inline filter not too long ago, so I don't think it can be that that is blocked.

Any suggestions as to the cause?

Thanks Jon N

Reply to
jkn

PS:

The Triton 'filter' is just a small thimble-shaped 'bundle' or brass-coloured wire held within the 15mm shower inlet fitting. Rather like a small version of those those stainless steel 'brillo pads' that you put inside the kettle to attract scale.

Triton charge a fortune for these and I'd like to source an alternative. However I've no idea what they might be called. Any suggestions?

Thanks J^n

Reply to
jkn

Why not drop it in some descaler?

The water pressure may be low in the mornings for reasons beyond your control. Is the show significantly above street level? Are you at the top of a sloping street?

It does sound marginal maybe the sensor is down on the shower. Is it possible to hold you thumb/finger over the end of a MAINS tap?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Hi Ed Thanks for your comments:

I would have done this with the original ... except it fell to pieces as I tried to prise it out of the pipe. They really are made to be disposed of ... which is why I want to find an alternative supplier. Can't remember what Triton charge, probably about eight quid each ;-(.

No, we're 2/3rds of the way down a hill and the water pressure is strong ... with no discernable difference in the morning.

I will experiment a bit with trying the shower during the day. Any ideas how the low pressure sensor might work, anyone?

Cheers jon N

Reply to
jkn

Probably a bad sensor.

Generally they are a tough rubber diaphragm, a spring and a micro switch.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I did a bit more checking and it seems that on some of the Triton models at least there is a design fault which causes the micro switch to loosen from the PCB tracks. Armed with this knowledge I took a closer look. This wasn't the case on my sample, but the way the diaphragm and connected plunger contacts the switch (actually a miniature 'pushbutton' switch rather than a proper microswitch) is a bit vague. I fitted a new stabiliser valve assembly (which incorporates the pressure diaphragm) a few months ago and there may also have been variations between samples here. Anyway, I added a tiny dab of hot melt glue to the 'spigot' of the switch, to make the pressing more certain. Since then all seems well, hurrah.

Why it was consistently failing in the morning, and why turning on other taps made a difference, I'm not sure. I wonder if too much pressure was causing 'off-centre' pressure on the switch. Or the cooler temperature in the morning was affecting the flexibility of part of the mechanism. Or something...

Anyway, worth knowing that it seems a common failure point and easy to address. Triton must know this is an issue but were suggesting a new PCB at =A3100 etc. Not impressed.

Cheers J^n

Reply to
jkn