Spontaneous shattering of double glazed panels (2023 Update)

This was quite a while ago and definatly not laminated. It collapsed under its own weight but just enough remained in the frame.

A very thick and very tough sheet of plastic as well. 2 mm thick or there abouts for the busted laminated screens I've seen.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Happened us twice on our last conservatory. Both times it was the inner pane of a roof panel. Twice in about 20 years isn't too bad I suppose.

Reply to
fred

Hi TonyB,

I've just spotted your response to my posting and wonder if you'd like to compare notes and discuss this problem further off the NG,

You can e-mail me directly at snipped-for-privacy@minda.co.uk

ATB - Dave.

Reply to
Dave Chapman

Still trying to contact TonyB,

Hi TonyB,

I read your response to my earlier posting and since there are similarities between our experiences I'd very much like to compare notes and discuss this problem further with you off this NG.

Would you e-mail me directly at snipped-for-privacy@minda.co.uk?

Many thanks - Dave.

Reply to
Dave Chapman

Merriam-Webster online has lorry, twice and fortnight. No problems.

rusty

Reply to
therustyone

They may be in the written Dictionary, but they are rarely used, and many Americans don't know their meanings.

But this thread was abandoned several weeks (months) ago.

Reply to
Davey

replying to Martin Bonner, KEVIN PAUL RORKE wrote: One morning recently I went into my bathroom and as I did so I pulled the light switch on and immediately there was a loud bsng which confused me . When I regained my composure I discovered that the opening part of the double glazed unit had a hole about the size of a tea plate ,with irregular edges, in it.

Reply to
KEVIN PAUL RORKE

Consult the rest of the thread you-know-where, dated 22 May 2014 for lots more stories.

Reply to
Dave W

replying to Dave Chapman, Steven Rooney wrote: Mines just blew today with loud bang. This has happened 4 times now in 10 years

Reply to
Steven Rooney

What annoys me about postings from this portal is that for those reading in the normal traditional way, ie not on the web but via a news client, unless the poster specifically adds it, there is no indication of how old the thread/topic is. I doubt anyone wants to go on the web to read it on there to find out the true context or whatever they say, actually is.

Anyway, this thread topic seems to come up on newsgroups quite often. I suspect it has something to do with some stress on the panel, and with temperature cycling and the brittleness of glass, sooner or later something breaks. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well, it's only three years since the previous post on that topic...

That's odd. For you to have 4 failures makes me suspect that there is some underlying cause, and it isn't just coincidence. But 10 years is long enough that the local vandals should have grown out of it.

Perhaps your frame is warped?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

replying to Dave Chapman, larry wrote: Hi Dave,

Who fitted your windows as exactly the same thing has happened to us but the window company are refusing to replace the window, saying that it is a 'breakage' and not covered, so I want to user a larger more reputable company... thanks

Reply to
larry

Good for you.

This might assist you with posting to a newsgroup, albeit through a website:

- If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just enough text of the original to give a context.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Larger is not the same as better.

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Don't fall for the con-trick that a company advertising on TV or having the largest adverts in today's equivalent of yellow pages is necessarily any better than a small one-man company.

Ask the salesman from the "larger/reputable" company how long ago did they declared bankruptcy and then start trading under the same name again.

Reply to
alan_m

Yes and watch out for hidden or missing dates.

However if i had a quid for everyone who seems to get this spontaneous shattering normally of the inside pane and often in conservatories a few years in, I'd actually make more than what I make having money in the building society. My guess is that sometimes there are stresses when these units are fitted and eventually something has to give. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

replying to Dave Chapman, Riveiroc wrote: Hi, I have just had one of the six glass sections of my lean to roof explode, right above me today. The roof was installed by a very reputable manufacturer two and half years ago. It happed around 1.30pm today, which was sunny and quite warm. I contacted the manufacturer to voice my concerns. Their response was that the glass is not covered under the 5year warranty. Only the frame is covered. They have not provided an explanation based on the images I took of the crazed patteren in the glass. The patteren seems to emanate from a point near the top center of the frame, downwards and fanning out. The have only offered to waive the installation cost, but nothing else. This does not sound fair to me, but I don?t think there?s much I can do about it.

Reply to
Riveiroc
2014? Why does this site have so much trouble with its years?

Shoot the programmer. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Maybe you could kill messages with the following header

Reply to
Andy Burns

replying to Dave Chapman, Pauline Jackson wrote: Hello Dave - yes two days ago we had exactly the same thing happen to us. The inner panel of the roof unit exploded covering the entire conservatory (thank goodness it was a cold wet day so we were elsewhere decorating). Nothing had dropped onto it from outside, it was a mystery leaving damage to a leather chair and hours of cleaning up. We have a ten year guarantee of which we have used up seven years and hopefully after reading your mishap our installer, who is coming later today, will have to change his tune about the fact that ours "is the first he has ever heard about!" As he expects us to claim on our insurance.

Reply to
Pauline Jackson