Splitter-router distance?

Its proably done a mile or two already.

So unless you do have something really noisy inside the house - which will cause problems whatever the length - it dont matter than much.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you can get DSL to work over 6 miles, you had better apply for a Nobel prize.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In that case use UPS.and 10 meter cable. If you haven't got proper phone cable use CAT5.

Actually id be tempted to move the incoming phone box to the UPS area meself and use a filtered face plate.

You can extend phones with cat 5..is certainly no worse than the standard phone cable impedance wise.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It does and no I didn't get the prize. It just isn't very fast.

Reply to
dennis

I have found different. A 10m vs a 1m cable makes about 400Kbps difference here.

Reply to
Mark

I bet its not a proper cable though, just one of those telephone extension cables you buy in poundland.

Reply to
dennis

You lose.

Reply to
Mark

I only bet on certainties so no I don't. Do you want to post details and pictures of the cables?

Reply to
dennis

You do.

1m cable was the one that came with the router & looks cheap and unlikely to be TP. 10m cable is a high quality TP cable from a reputable supplier.
Reply to
Mark

probably shielded then

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A UPS will often have a data link to the computer (RS232 on older ones, USB on more recent kit), that can inform the computer of power outages and also remaining support time on batteries. You can then set it to shutdown while there is some support time remaining. Hence short power losses are logged, but don't have to trigger a shutdown.

A UPS would fix that.

Reply to
John Rumm

No, this in incorrect. The cable that links the filter/splitter to the modem is unfiltered it still has the speech frequencies and the DC, the modem deals with those itself.

It is the phone side of the splitter that is filtered, the ADSL frequencies are removed. Again the DC is left intact.

Reply to
Graham.

It's very common practice to only use CAT5 in structured cabling for both, network and

2 wire phones, with or without ADSL.
Reply to
Graham.

Depends which type of filter/splitter we are talking about. I have a filtered master socket which does as I said - but if we are talking about the filters that go behind every phone, then it's as you say.

Reply to
Tim Watts

IIRC, Yes.

Reply to
Mark

There is no reason at all to filter the audio from the ADSL modem.. the DSP in the modem is far better at filtering the audio than any filter based on LC components is ever going to be.

The filter isn't there to stop the audio interfering with the ADSL or even to stop the ADSL interfering with the audio its to stop abrupt changes in line characteristics when you pick a phone up and load it with cheap junk capacitors and inductors.

The phone doesn't need a filter as it has to reject RFI anyway, if it didn't you would get all the radio stations playing on it every time you made a call.

The modem filters all the channels it uses and will work fine without any filter, it will even work during a phone call without a filter but will almost certainly retrain when you pick the phone up and put it down without the filter.

Buying a face plate that filter the audio is just a waste of money and they probably don't exist anyway, if they do they are probably for making sure you get HiFi from your internet radio and are sold along with OFC, directional cables. ;-)

Reply to
dennis

How far from the exchnage are you and what sync speed do you get?

ADSL is a bit like radio communications (hardly surprising with it using frequencies up to 1.1 or 2.2 MHz), just accept it works just don't try to work why or how it works.

It is sensitive to small changes in line conditions and noise levels. Try to avoid resyncing between sunset and sunrise as the interference from MF broadcast stations is worse at night and will make a good 6dB difference to the SN ratio and up to 1Mbps difference in sync speed. At least that is how my line behaves... Sync can be anywhere from 4.5 to 6.5Mbps BRAS sits at 4.5 or 5Mbps reliably, approx 2.5 miles from the exchange, under ground ali cable, apart from the last few tens of metres flown across the road.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Very much depends on the kit, you'd really have to open it up to find out. I don't think I have anything that has a SMPSU inside. One 5 port switch I have has a 2A+ @ 3.3v wall wart supply and DC cable sized to handle it...

Good tip though and one I will remember.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There are a few small network switches about that are USB powered. They were designed for small networks of laptops in conference and such like. You can even get gigabit ones but they aren't particularly cheap (£50 from blackbox).

Reply to
dennis

I believed that it was mostly to stop the phones shunting and attenuating the HF - not to mention it stops the HF being send round umpteen braches on house wiring which is a very good idea in itself.

What's this then: