Split threads

Any idea why yesterday we saw so many threads appearing as multiple short threads - or individual posts - instead of nicely threaded as usual? Sure we get the odd one from time to time, but rarely lots.

Current release Thunderbird, using Berlin server here.

Apologies to anyone expecting nut-splitter thread...

Reply to
polygonum

Well did the thread originally start with TOT: by any chance. We proved a while back that most Microsoft news reading software struggles with these subject lines and can often take out the TOT: completely.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Thunderbird doesn't split a thread just because the subject changes, it goes by the references in headers. Usually thread splitting is caused by web based usenet interfaces such as google groups.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Proper software doesn't thread on the Subject: header line but on the References: one which contains all the Message-ID's of all the messages in the thread.

The normal way threads get broken is by postings from Google Groups.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well a lot of them were subject "Unknown blade" by various posters. But I think there were some others like "Socket set".

Reply to
polygonum

"Unknown Blade" threaded perfectly here in both Demon/Turnpike and Eternal September/Pan.

Reply to
Bill

I think it might be to do with my killfile and the member of it. :-)

(I think that funny things happen depending on order of arrival, killfile rule(s), etc.)

Apologies for raising the issue.

Reply to
polygonum