Split pins

Who sells split pins nowadays - Neither Homebase nor Focus - not tried B & Q yet!

Reply to
Homer2911

Try Halfords

Reply to
SJP

And any decent car parts place ;-)

Sometimes the tool stands on the markets have em?

I bought a box of hundreds for thuppence a while back ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. If you only want a few and I have the size you need I'll stick some in the post for ya ..

Reply to
T i m

AKA "Cotter Pins"

Alan J. Wylie

I thought a cotter pin was the pin that stopped the pedal crank failing off your bike?

Reply to
Mr Fixit

It is .lol ...but I think some folks call the other ones cotter pins .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Motor factors, ironmongers...

Reply to
Chris Bacon

What then are the pins that were used to hold bicycle pedal shafts onto the crank?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Yes, that's what they are.

To quote my technical drawing teacher in 1962...

"What must we remember about keys and keyways, splines and shafts, nuts and bolts, gibs and cotters?

Answer, ( Rot 13nd) :

Gurl ner abg funqrq ba ratvarrevat qenjvatf.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Just to confuse things further .

Stuart

Try one of those little shops selling car spare parts, tools, etc...

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Cheers fellas - I'll hit the car parts places in the morning

Reply to
Homer2911

The bit that goes through the pedal is a "Cotter", and not shaded in drawings. :-)

It all adds up, though 50 years ago to a 9 year old kid with a second hand bike the distinction was not made.

6 years later technical drawing lessons did not throw any light on the matter, but ISTR the formal legalistic definition of a Key/Keyway was taught.

But not that of a Cotter.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

A cotter is a tapered wedge, used for locking rotating or reciprocating shafts and transmitting a large force. Cotters are locked against moving by a "cotter pin" or split pin (which is too small and loosely fitting to transmit a useful force)

I've not seen a bicycle that used cotter pins. The old style of crank was located by a cotter that was locked by a nut. No "cotter pin".

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

So have we decided what they should be called then? Many manufacturers such as the above one call them both "split pins" and "cotter pins" even on the same page. I'd like to call them "split pins". At work I have labelled a cupboard "Cotter Pins" because that is what it says on most of the packets in it. But I think that is wrong.

Reply to
Nick

It doesn't have to be tapered.

Cotter pin is the accepted term in the cycle trade. Some people would call it a cotter bolt, but others use that term for what I would call a clevis pin.

Reply to
Rob Morley

you live and learn I stand corrected but I would have asked for split pins rather than cotter pins before I was enlightened

Reply to
Mr Fixit

A clevis pin is a solid, round pin that has a head to stop it dropping out that way and a split pin hole in the other end to stop it dropping out the other way. They are used extensively in the aerospace industry, usually with a washer between the object that is secured and the split pin. Hope you understand that :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I think we can read the description as the way they are applied in practice. It is the same thing, but the description defines what it is used on.

I always have, as I do not have to state what the end use will be.

Dave

Reply to
Dave