Split load CU

Well firstly since its an internal photo with covers removed, you don't know what (if any) cover was provided for the bar bar - on many CUs its removable.

Unused figures should not be trimmed anyway - it would make it pointless installing a CU with some spare capacity in the first place!

Fixed to a (non combustible) wall is fine.

Sometimes you don't get much choice...

Reply to
John Rumm

That kink is an OEM part!

Yes the LN reversal on the left hand RCD was one of the first things I noticed - and I did remove the bottom internal cover for the photo.

Reply to
ARW

Direct to wall is allowed.

I rewired the place. I did reuse the CU.

Reply to
ARW

In article , ARW scribeth thus

So why's that OK for a CU but not for the incomer/fuse/meter etc?.

Surely the insulation on these now is all plastic the days of metal ones now long gone?...

Reply to
tony sayer

En el artículo , Tim Watts escribió:

Would you accept the CU as pictured? I wouldn't.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I assume it is just so the elec co can add stuff without drilling holes in masonry - it's easier and no risk of brick dust dropping onto existing equipment.

That's unlikely to be a problem with a CU because you fit it and that's it.

My CU is metal... It's on a board - in fact it's on 2 battens on a board. That's to allow one or two cables to rear entry if required (not every top knockout is usable). It also gives me something to clip the cables to (easily).

Reply to
Tim Watts

No, but that's not due to a few unused busbar sections :)

My CU has several unused busbar prongs. They are covered by well fitting way-blanks (these fit to the DIN rail in Hager CUs, they are not the poofty blank strips that MK use that could maybe fall off).

As it happens I have to add a couple of RCBOs so I'm glad I did not trim the prongs off...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Just to add - the problem has been solved rathe rnicely in some high end (600+A) distribution boards I have seen at work.

The 3 busbars are on top of each other in a stepped fashion and are covered by insulating strips.

New MCCBs can be added live - they are dropped in from the top and slide over the bars. Then 3 special insulated bolts are done up until they snap (self torquing).

Reply to
Tim Watts

I just got a good deal on a fully populated one and have spare breakers in it. The current price of breakers isn't much more than good blanking plates.

Reply to
dennis

These?

ARW

With the front cover missing or with the LN reversal on the RCD?

Whan the bus bar shield was replaced and the blanks installed then there was nothing wrong with it.

Reply to
ARW

I always keep the spare MCBs and fit blanks when I install a populated CUs.

Reply to
ARW

They be the ones...

Reply to