Splash backs, stainless steel etc

Need some kind of splash back above the cooker. Just how hard are the stainless steel ones to keep clean? The woman of the house doesn't want one because she thinks it will be a pain to keep clean and it will scratch easy.

What other options are there? Tiles, clear plastic?

Reply to
hoicem

I fitted self-adhesive stainless steel splashbacks in my last kitchen. Got them from sitcknsteel.co.uk or somesuch. They were a bit of a pain to keep clean - obviously any water marks showed obviously. The real bummer was when the cleaner took a scouring pad to it and scratched the bugger :-(. She got deported soon after though ;-).

I probably wouldn't do stainless steel again due to it being fairly delect. Not sure what I will go for when I do this kitchen - maybe some nice large plain tiles - not these pigs and sheep I have right now ...

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

Reply to
David Sims

In my previous house I used a colourful flowered tray,which I purchased quite cheaply. I tried it as an experiment to start with because the rather expensive green tiles behind the hob were discolouring when fat splashes seemed to affect the glaze on them. The tray was an ordinary pressed laminated plastic and I was concerned that it might catch fire initially, however by checking it's temperature (hand test)over a long period I gained some confidence that the tray did not overheat in practice. It was a gas hob with a canopy extractor above it, I think the heat went straight up the extractor. I am not recommending this as a solution because different hobs would have different characteristics depending on their distance from the splash back, size of saucepans/ frying pans etc, I can imagine that a large utensil might spread the flame somewhat. Clearly the splashback should be made of a fireproof material. Stainless steel would be the obvious choice, but I wouldn't fix it to the wall behind,I would merely lean it against the back wall so that it's easily removable to wash it in the sink. Regards Don

Reply to
Donwill

Glass? You can get coloured glass cut to shape, with holes for the sockets etc. - well, no sockets if it's just above the cooker of course...

RobertL

Glass with an edge illumination system such that the whole pane glows can look fantastic when the kitchen is configured to "show the visitors" mode ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I got toughened glass with polished edges and screwholes for mirror screws. Now we keep holiday photos, cooking info (just how hot is a 'moderate' oven in °C?) behind it and we can change them any time we like. Glass just needs an occasional wipe down and even if you get something really nasty on there a scraper shifts it dead easy. One of my better ideas for the kitchen :)

Alan

Reply to
ajp

Don't be tempted to get acid etched toughened glass as a splashback if=20 you have a grotty surface beneath. If you stick it on with no more=20 nails you can still see the glue through it, also whilst it blocks the=20 view at a distance you'll still be able to see the surface underneath.

Toughened glass with a backing is what you need then you can have it=20 coloured to fit your decor, If you (or swmbo)are bothered by such=20 aesthetics. I was recently quoted =C2=A3200 for a piece 90cm x 76cm but t= here=20 is a three week lead time as it has to be made to order.

I wouldn't have stainless for a splashback for love nor money.

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic