Spindle Moulder Tilt - Forward or Backward

Slightly OT perhaps, but I tried this on rec.woodwrrking and WoodworkGalore and got no responses... :-(

Some manufacturers (Felder/Hammer) have Spindle Moulders that tilt away from front edge of the table. They claim it is safer....

Other manufacturers (MinMax, Knapp) etc have Spindle Moulders that tilt towards the front edge of the table. They claim it is safer...

Anyone have first hand experience of this or any comments?

Many thanks, Roy

Reply to
RzB

I've used both types. As you know, I have the Felder. However, I have to say that this wasn't a major factor in the choice. I do feel rather safer with the rear tilting action, although I am not convinced that it actually *is* safer. There is the sense that there is less risk of a piece of material being pulled into the cutter and jamming underneath. Having said that, there are several issues that need to be addressed regarding safety anyway with any spindle moulder, and these mainly relate to appropriate guarding arrangements for the operation being done. The point is to be sensible, plan out the operation carefully and not take stupid risks.

Reply to
andy hall

Andy Once again thanks for your help. Yes, I must say that rear tilting feels safer to me for the same reason.. Not very scientific though :-) Thanks, Roy

Reply to
RzB