Spiders and Decking

Help - having fitted decking right to the wall of the house last year, there seems to have been a massive influx of spiders. Is there anything that I can put down or spray around that will get rid of these pests?

Reply to
SantaUK

In message , SantaUK wrote

The spider are not pests - they will be eating the pests.

Reply to
Alan

In message , SantaUK writes

Now I'm certainly no eco warrior, but what harm are the spiders doing you that you wish to destroy them?

Reply to
Bill

Don't think of them as pests. They are very beneficial to your house and garden.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Get some chickens they eat spiders

Stuart

Reply to
anythingyoulike

If you bolt a ledger plate to the wall of the house above DPC level you should use spacers to leave a 10mm gap, & the board(s) should have a 6mm gap.

If you haven't done so, spiders are the least of your problems.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

why is there a massive influx of spiders? what are they eating? why is there a massive influx of spider food? maybe there's a dead cat under there and pests are eating the cat and spiders are eating the pests?

[g]
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

"There was an old lady who swallowed a fly...."

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , "george (dicegeorge)" writes

Decking, patios, remember Brookside?????????

Reply to
Bill

What are the spiders doing to annoy? Most people like spiders because they are good at dealing with troublesome insects.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Lots of things, but then you'll be troubled by bluebottles, so the question really is, which would you rather have - spiders sitting quietly, or a dozen bluebottles covered in dogshit and vomit hovering around your face and landing on your burgers?

Reply to
Phil L

Probably none. But how do I stop spiders from crawling over my security cameras and making webs? Every time a spider moves I get three video files recorded of it. I'm sick of having to check all those files !

Reply to
Matty F

In message , "george (dicegeorge)" writes

No flies on you george ...

Reply to
geoff

In message , Bill writes

No, never watched it

Reply to
geoff

Move to a less pikey area / country

Reply to
geoff

I'm just monitoring an unoccupied building site.

"An estimated 4.2 million cameras =97 largely concentrated in London and other major cities =97observe Britons as they go about their daily business"

Reply to
Matty F

In message , Matty F writes

Now that I do sympathise with, but one fix it to fit dome cameras. I've had lots of webs on the older style housings but domes do not give the spiders the location they like and so are left alone.

Reply to
Bill

Wot - no angle grinder angle?

Reply to
Invisible Man

Nice answer Phil, I'll have to remember that when my Missus demands I kill a spider that she doesn't like the look of :-) Franko.

Reply to
Franko

This is what I would call a 'Wall Plate', and I must admit I've never heard of spacing it off, but if it is above the DPC then something like that is necessary. Surely, however the spiders will just use the spacers as bridges across the gap ?

Rob

Reply to
Rob G