"Speed frame" but in plastic?

I've been asked to make a "blackout" for the window of a baby that wakes up at the first trace of morning sunlight. (They have blackout lined curtains, but they are looking for darkroom type performance).

In this case neatness and convenience is more important than cost.

Obviously it would not be difficult to make a simple wooden frame, covered with blackout material and held in place with magnets or velcro, but it struck me that square plastic tubing connected with corner pieces like Dexion Speed Frame should be quick and neat.

Googling finds plenty of plastic tube

but their corner connector prices are silly. Does anyone know of a supplier? (I know I could mitre or construct something like a cross halving using PVC solvent adhesive, but that seems like too much work).

As an alternative I am just thinking about a sheet of 3 or 5 mm black acrylic, again fixed with magnets or velcro.

Thoughts?

Reply to
newshound

Try Googling "Fly Screens", we bought some last year which consisted of alu minium rectangular sections which were connected with plastic push in corne rs the frames are held in place with neodymium magnets lined up with small steel pieces in the plastic corner. The fly mesh could easily be replaced w ith a blackout material. I cannot remember the company we bought ours from but Google turned up plenty which were similar to each other. The frames co me in a number of standard sizes which you cut down to fit your particular windows.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

It's possible but unlikely that the Velux range of blackout blinds would fit. I've got a couple and they're excellent. At worst you could adapt their design perhaps?

Reply to
RJH

Why not just use a sheet of thin ply? No fancy frame needed and cheap.

Reply to
harry

Turn the cot round...

It/they has to get used to the bright shiny thing...

Anyhow, these days isn't it time by sunrise they were waking up and feeding it anyway?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

I'm not seeing anything difficult in mitre cutting the cornrs and sticking with solvent. If you lack a suitable saw, it might be time to get one :)

Almost any sheet material would do. Paint the windowframe black.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

22mm overflow pipe and pushfit 90 degree bends? or cut down Tee to get right angle outside corners if 90 bends leak light.
Reply to
Bob Minchin

Eastfix,

Along the outside edges use something like

Make the frame very slightly too small (no more than 5mm) and when in place tap it outwards into the final position.

Reply to
Peter Parry

+1
Reply to
Richard

A fine bit of lateral thinking, these look like exactly what I am after. Will research the options when I get the dimensions.

Reply to
newshound

Thanks to all for the suggestions; "fly-screens" look like the best bet to me at the moment (but still thinking about sheet material).

Reply to
newshound

Ikea's Tuplur black-out blinds look good (haven't seen them 'in the flesh' yet) and don't have brat-strangling cords on them. Not sure about this, but if fitted with the pulled-down blind to the wall (most I've seen are the other way round for neatness) the effect might be better.

Reply to
PeterC

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

What about fresh air?

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

+1

1st Rule of Parenting: Don't reward a child for any unacceptable behaviour.

"Reward" is from the childs point of view, not the parents point of view, or what the parents think of as a reward.

So child waking up and crying a bit beacuse it's on its own, gets a reward for that behaviour when a parent attends the child and comforts settles them. Child likes this so does it again and gets rewarded again... Parent can do a quick check but only a quick check then leaves. Child may make a bit of a fuss, but parent has to resist. Without the reward child will soon stop trying to gain attention when waking early.

Any parent ought to be able to tell from the cry wether the child really needs attention or is just "trying it on".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ooh, look. Another successful parent. :)

Reply to
Richard

Smiley noted. Both kids(*) know that "I want, doesn't get". They have to ask nicely and/or justify the desired outcome. In some ways it has backfired as both are now extremely good at justification and negociation of their real wants.

(*) Kids one is now an "adult" and is on the first steps of the steep "welcome to the real world" learning curve. Food doesn't appear by magic, niether does money to buy the food, heat and light isn't free, etc etc...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

When they don't appear it is of course your fault. Or anyone else's.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Like I said, another successful parent. No doubt they have already shown some gratitude for the sensible upbringing. Kudos, or if you'd prefer unusual pets kudus.

Reply to
Richard