Special wire

Tri-Rated appliance wiring cable, ask for "tri-rated cable"

- 0.5mm2

20awg - 0.75 18 - 1.0 16 - 1.5 14 - 2.5 12 - 4.0 10 - 6.0 8 - 10.0

etc

Reply to
Tim Morley

Sounds like the 'E' string on my daughters bass and that plays ok? ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. It was one of these link wires (but this one was solid not stranded) that the Corgi 'engineer' (?) left loose on my mates CU ;-(

Reply to
T i m

There are sometimes wire 'jumpers' provided with split load units. As the OP describes they are usually flexible (i.e. multi thin strand) and have terminals crimped on the ends to provide 'custom' jumpers designed for the particular CU.

Reply to
usenet

================ Thanks for this suggestion. It never occurred to me that it might also be an automotive product. I'll look at the link at my leisure.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

>> 22awg - 0.5mm2

==================== Many thanks for all replies - including some of the more unusual suggestions.

'Tri-Rated appliance wiring cable' seems to be the clear winner.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Be carefull with AUtomotive stuff, usually only rated for 50v

Reply to
Tim Morley

No, that is stainless steel locking wire. Probably 0.5mm. Locking wire will stretch some, before it breaks. I've used both in my time.

No, they are stronger in tensile strength, so that they can be tuned. They are also more brittle when they are bent.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Single cable has usually far thicker insulation for mechanical protection than mains stuff so it's a red herring - unless you think there are different grades of PVC. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Switchgear wiring cable to BS 6231 Type BK (also findable on the RS Web site) is your other option.

You do realise that the ends must be terminated with bootlace ferrules or crimp terminals? It's never satisfactory to put large fine-stranded wires into terminals intended for solid or 7-strand wires. What is it you're actually trying to do?

Reply to
Andy Wade

=================== I have no immediate plans to do anything but I noticed the use of this cable (wire?) in the new consumer unit I installed a few weeks ago. It occurred to me that I could probably make a neater job of the circuit wiring if the internal connecting wires could be re-arranged. This is still a possible option if any additions are necessary.

I'm surprised that you say that this type of wire should not be used with bare ends - i.e. without the use of ferrules or crimped terminals because that is precisely how they are in my new consumer unit. This is the unit:

haven't removed the wires to confirm this but there is certainly no sign of ferrule or crimped terminal. Can you be more specific? Is this a legal requirement or simply 'best practice'? The electrician who checked and passed the unit on behalf of the Council (Part P and all that) certainly didn't comment on the state of these internal connections.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Well, I've no experience of the Wylex NH series. It may be that the terminals are suitable for flexible wires without special preparation of the ends. What does it say in the instructions provided (if any). Certainly the flexible leads supplied with the MK Sentry boards do have ready prepared 'ends.'

Not specifically, other than the general requirements for all connections to be sound and for proper materials and good workmanship to be used.

Reply to
Andy Wade

=================== There are no instructions relating to the internal connections other than the general reminder to check all connections for tightness. Since these are factory fitted in this case I think I can safely assume that they're correctly fitted.

However, I will certainly be looking for ferrules or other crimped terminals if / when I replace the internal connections.

I think the point you make about good connections is particularly relevant to these fine multi-stranded wires. It's very easy to over-tighten clamping screws resulting in breakage of the strands immediately under the screw. Maybe this is a case where some kind of solid terminal (ferrule etc.) should be compulsory.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

We have just installed some equipment from switzerland. No ferrules on the pre-made cables; BUT every pre-stripped end had been compressed so hard that it had actually formed the single strands into one, you could not seperate them! I had not seen that before.

Reply to
Tim Morley