Special Bolts for Cast Iron bath feet

Having started to clean the outside of my CI bath for repainting, the amount of muck around the feet and the fact they were slack lead me into trying take them off. The first bolt came off OK but the other three are rusted such that the heads are turning and they will require to be cut off. The one that did come off shows the bolt to have a special shape - anyone know anything about the history of these, if they are standard and if these are available anywhere?

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

Neither heat nor mechanical hammering is sensible considering this is CI and is enamelled. There are thread type nut splitters on the market which I could use but the bolt heads have rusted such that they are turning so need replacing anyway. If the worst comes to the worst I'll have to make them from scratch but they're still making CI baths so the bolts may well still be available in some shape or other.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

Yes, you said that in your original psot. It can be done, it just depends on whether you are ham-fisted or not. Use a small hot flame (like from my Turbo propane torch) - shield the bath shell. Use a club hammer as support as in my post. It's OK.

Ah. Your OP led me to believe that you were trying to preserve the bolts - so just cut them off & ask a simpler question such as "Where can I get this sort of bolt?"!

What sort of special shape are they, anyway?

________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

Reply to
jerrybuilt