Speaking of water bills ...

There is an old well on some communual ground which, according to the deeds, etc. I (and my neighbours) have to keep maintained and in good order...

Right now, it looks like it's concreted over with a drain cover. (If this is where it actually is - we're not 100% sure, and its location isn't mentioned with any exactness on any of the plans we have)

So assuming I were to open it up again, and the water was of drinkable quality (or required minimal filtration), am I right in thinking that I can simply tell the water board where to put their water bills if I move over to using it?

It is a short way from my house, and technically I'd have to cross someone elses land to run a pipe from it (although they are entitled to use the well water, and have the same covenants of maintaining the well too) and I've no idea of it's going to be clean enough to drink, so might not actually be worth it.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Unless you're on private drainage, you would continue to pay the waste disposal component of your bill. But otherwise, what you said is correct.

Wells take a fair bit of looking after and monitoring. We're on a well, but that's partly because getting mains in isn't economically viable. Running costs are lower than water bills, but not free.

Reply to
Grunff

Living in a suburban environment within a conurbation ... I receive a metered water supply from a "Water board" ... the typical bill is for XXX tonnes of water supplied; and XXX * 90% taken away as sewage; [I assume 'they' reckon I must sweat and/or use other toilet facilities for the missing 10%]. I'm billed _more_ for taking the stuff away than I'm billed for supply of the potable water. BTW, I'm also stuck with a surface water disposal charge.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Some of it will be used for watering plants, washing cars etc...etc

It costs more to remove and dispose of dirty water than it does to supply potable water.

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

es...but...you will get a yearly visit from health and sfatey ort somesuch testing how many alians from Zarg live in it...and of course unless you pump it up 100ft you waill have a crap water pressure.

It may well be excellent. I lived on a farm ion te Fens with pumped well water for many years. No problesm apart from the fact that most appliances that expected high pressure mains would not work. Including some washing machines. Showers were a complete nono.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There is some regulations about having it tested at regular intervals. When I purchased my project house, the council phoned up and checked what the water suppy was, so I guess they test it.

You will still have to pay sewage, which is based on water usage - no idea how this works.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Get a septic tank and tell them to watch that rude program this Saturday for advice on what to do :-) Saves a fortune in their charges.

Reply to
Mike