speakers in multiple rooms?

An alternative thought.

I wrestled with this sort of problem for decades and never got a satisfactory solution. Then a few years ago I discovered media streaming in the form of Logitech Squeezebox systems. Combining an interest in computing and HiFi, all my amplifiers and speakers from the past are now back in action like never before - all over the house. I can listen to my ripped CDs, radio (1000's of stations if I so desired), i-player, podcasts etc - independently in each room or synchronised in any combination, with individual or synchronised volume controls. It has brought me the sort of pleasure and involvement that I sought to achieve when I first started to spend silly amounts of money on serious HiFi in the late 60's - but never achieved until now. And all for a very reasonable outlay - and no more digging around for that lost jewel box!

There are many alternatives to Logitech but in my opinion the Logitech Touch is second to none at any price.

I know this is not the answer to your specific question - but at least be aware of this option before you get locked into legacy solutions. I have no links with Logitech but I wish I had come across this idea years earlier. If you're a bit technical, into computers and want music everywhere, this is surely the way to go.

Good Luck

Chip ChipMonk

Reply to
ChipMonk

of course. That isnt the cause of the trouble.

1mm^2 cable drops 44mV per amp per metre, so a 10m run drops 0.44v at 1A. In practice the Vdrop is less, due to a reservoir cap plus the fact that i is lower most of the time with music and speech. I wouldnt worry about it unless the OP has a mansion.

Low impedance driving the unbalanced line wipes out all trace of interference

I can see it creating problems. First there' a lack of balanced line output consumer equipment at sensible prices (preferably free)

2nd any earthed active speaker, and there are some, is not compatible with a balanced line. 3rd all 2 or 3 core consumer active speakers are incompatible with a stereo balanced input

If its genuinely a hifi it will have line out connectors. But these are too high impedance to distriute without running into problems. A little 1w amp solves that.

For one piece stereos wth no line out, it would take some electronics knowledge to find and use an internal line level audio feed. But its far easier to just hang a couple of resistors on the speaker outputs, and use active speakers throughout the system.

tone too. If you're using it for listening rather than recording, this is if anything a bonus.

NT

Reply to
NT

In such systems you get 2 transformers in the way, plus the resistance pad. All cause reduction in fi.

NT

Reply to
NT

=A310!!

NT

Reply to
NT

cat5 works great if you drive it low impedance. Any cable does.

NT

Reply to
NT

I've just posted a link to this system, since it's what I now do. I wouldn't go back to the old ways...

I have an original Squeezebox for sale, if the OP is interested, having upgraded to a Duo in the living room.

Reply to
Huge

Quite, 100v line is a good way to distribute audio to multiple passive speakers and is capable of good results. As Mr Plowman says the required transformers aren't particulary cheap and the power levels available are limited but the acoutsic quality is mainly down to the flappy bit that couples the electrical signal to the air. Metal horns are never going to sound very good even if fed with a perfect signal.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

One of these;

Huge

Surely the tag "original" should be only apply to this?

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Apparently not.

Ahh. It likely went to "usenet@..." which I don't think goes anywhere. (I must fix that). Try "huge@..."

I think I've mailed you. Took out "notthisbit"?

Reply to
Huge

Correct x 2

YHM...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I guess we don't know the details of unspecified amps. When I built amps I _always_ included large caps on the amp for stability, and to a lesser extent other reasons.

its for both conductors, from the wiring regs for operation upto 70C.

11.56

All it does is limit power output. 12v sagging to 11.56v is trivial

If the OP has a bunch of these in their house, I'd be surprised if the lot together ever exceeded 30w out. We can only guess though.

11.56v peak to peak =3D 5.78v peak. If we momentarily assume ideal output devices to maximise current figure, that's 0.72A/ch, or 1.44A stereo. But that's peak i, not mean. It would have to run flat out on a continuous square wave to eat that. IRL a sine wave will eat in the region of 70% the mean i, or 1A. Now add the fact that music and speech don't pushing the limits continuously and mean i drops further. A nice cap on the amp board will thus draw around mean i from the supply, which may be only 50% of the purely theoretical continuous sine wave maximum, so around 0.5A. Total V drop on that =3D 22mV, as good as nothing.

NT

Reply to
NT