speaker cable (separating data from mains)

Hello,

There was a thread here recently about someone wanting to know if he could run AV cable alongside mains. Sorry I've lost the thread so I can't append this to it.

One post said that speaker cable is not screened so would pick up interference; I'm guessing clicks and clunks from things switching on/off?

I don't know if this would help but I've been sent a cpc offer leaflet and there is this twisted speaker cable:

assume it works on he same principle as cat5, telephone cable, etc. Does anyone know how good it is in practice?

There is also a screened speaker cable in the main catalogue:

I think the csa is smaller. It doesn't explicitly say; it says

7/0.2mm. Sorry to be thick: is the 0.2mm the diameter? If so is the CSA (0.2/2)^2*pi*7 or is it not as simple as that?

Where would the screen be connected? The earth terminal on the amp (as used by turntables)?

I'm interested in running some speaker cable myself, so would be interested on advice about the best to use.

HTH Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

In a domestic environment, speakers are fed from a very low impedance source and as such pretty immune to picking up 'induced' interference on the cables. Low level unbalanced cables - as between say pre-amp and amp - are a different matter. It's good practice not to run them alongside mains, though, (and in the regs) and to cross any such cable at right angles.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Stephen scribeth thus

After years working in Recording and Radio stallions and at home I've yet to have a problem with this sort of thing, the only proviso is that the equipment is of good design and quality:)...

Reply to
tony sayer

To be fair, all such cables are well separated from mains in a studio installation. For safety reasons.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It depends entirely on what's being sent down the speaker cable. If its powering a standard speaker, then capacitive or inductive pick up is a total non-issue. Signal level is high, and impedance very low.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Bit of a coincidence, but I've just come back from sorting out a friend's audio problems. He had linked an amp downstairs with one upstairs (tape out to aux in) using thin car speaker flex - figure of eight stuff. With the ends of phono leads twisted to it and insulated with parcel tape. It had stopped working (a channel at a time) - although he did say it once worked perfectly.

So I remade things with phonos soldered to the speaker cable. Not expecting it to work properly. But it did - not a hint of hum or buzz, even with no signal.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

May have been my thread, but I didn't want to separate data and mains cable to avoid interference, I wanted to know how I could meet the requirements of the 17th wiring regs by keeping data and mains separated but within the same backbox. The requirement being there to avoid accidently getting mains voltage in the data cable.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Should be separated .. often not;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

I've found certain types of unbranded sticky tape to be sonically deficient compared to Sellotape(tm)

Owain

Reply to
Owain