Spax, TurboGold or twin-thread screws?

Is there any real difference in the use of Spax or TurboGold self drilling screws?

Or should I just stick to normal twin-threads?

dg

Reply to
dg

I always keep a box of Spax with me for temporary fixings. They go in to wood and plaster well and come out again well again though they may have been soaked or covered in plaster in the interim

Dunno what it is about them - maybe the head is harder so it doesn't tend to munge up

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

(Sorry to hijack your reply Anna, the original isn't coming up in Thunderbird)

I'd say there is! TurboGold can be used nearer the edges need pilot holes in a lot less materials (only hardwords IME) and I don't seem to bugger the heads as often (maybe made of harder material).

I'll use Spax if I have nothing else available (i.e. run out of TurboGold) but certainly prefer TurboGold.

Cheers,

Andy

Reply to
Andy Jeffries

Yes, I decided I like TurboGold better than Spax too having bought a batch of Spax screws locally a while ago. They're not bad, I'll use them up, but I definitely prefer TurboGold.

I'm actually standardising on TurboGold Ultra (whatever they're called, the stainless ones) now as quite a bit of my use of screws is outdoors and the price differential isn't large enough for it to be worth keeping the 'ordinary' ones aas well. It's a pity the stainless ones aren't available in the larger sizes.

Reply to
usenet

Maybe I should give TurboGold Ultra a try next time I'm looking to replace my Spax. That they are stainless is good to know about cos I always use stainless for my permanent fixings