Sparky Qualifications

What qualifications do you need to be considered to be a qualified sparky - with the problems in the IT industry I'm considering doing some night/weekend school, to get qualified as a sparks?

Where do I start, and what exams do I need to become "qualified"?!

Reply to
Quigs

A good question. I discussed this with the college lecturer when I did my C&G2381 early this year.

Basically it's NVQ's, which take 2-3 years to complete. I think you have to be sponsored thru these courses (like an apprenticeship), however someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to confirm.

I got my C&G2381 - 16th edition wiring regulations. Whilst I've been doing electrical work for many years and conscious of safety issues, C&G2381 taught me an important lesson - don't try to take on too much in terms of the work in hand.

I've done the lot over many years - consumer units, cookers, lights and sockets, and been very confident about the end result. However C&G2381 was very useful as it told me a lot of things that I didn't have a clue about previously. Things like earthing arrangements - there's me thinking in a domestic installation the earth was bonded to the neutral at the point it enters the house, and the lecturer covers this topic with loads of detail about TT, TN-C and various other earthing arrangements which I had been clueless about previously.

Mental note made to self as the lecturer was speaking about the earthing systems - don't mess around where earthing and bonding is concerned, it's qualified sparky time.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Try taking a physics course.

Reply to
BigWallop

in the UK, Firstly you need to have just one head, Two arms are an advantage but one will often do, You need a basic grasp of english but Urdu or any asian variation is ok, Mathamatics to primary school level would be handy but an absolute essential is a White Van The above is a good grounding if you work for a NICEIC company Should you consider the other option, a JIB registered Electrician, I am afraid that Years of Futher Education, Training, Courses, and Examinations are your only route Bob

Reply to
bob

You need an NVQ level 3 to becoming a JIB registered electrician,you also need the City & Guilds qualifiactions 2360 pt1 and pt2 most colleges can offer a nightclass. Also look at doing the 16th edition regs class after part1.

Jon.

Reply to
John Southern

Just to second what Jon has posted, I am currently studying C&G 2360 Part 2 at local college two evenings a week, take exams next July. Spoke with lecturers there at open day last August and since I have previous qualifications found I could skip part 1 although have to do three 1st year assignments. My previous qualifications mainly electronics but all relevant to this course. Additionally did 16th edition in April, 10 weeks, one night a week, free course! only paid for exam. This current course costs £364. Am looking to leave present job and maybe start up solo, similar to chap in later thread about becoming a domestic electrian - same sort od age too! Mark

Reply to
Mortimer

Reply to
Quigs

So has anybody any suggestions on how I might start this part time - are there any courses I can easily get to in the evening from woking in surrey?

Reply to
Quigs