Sparks

Take someone who is, or thinks themself to be, knowledgeable in doing domestic electric wiring. If that person then does some mains electrical work [1] at a property not their own, for money, and then gets a certified electrician to come in, check and test the work, and issue the certificate, is that allowed/legal?

I seem to recall that this point or something like it formed part of a wider discussion earlier this year or last, but I can't find it now.

[1] I'm referring to something more than just replacing a light fitting

- running whole new circuits, f'rinstance.

Reply to
Tim Streater

As far as I know, the answer is 'yes.' I'm more than a bit troubkles by the "or thinks themselves to be" in your first line because I can see huge extra costs being racked up if they turn out not to be as smart as they think they are.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

It's how apprentices earn their keep:-)

BTW it is allowed if the electrician does an inspection of the first and second fix. You will not find many electricians willing to do it.

Reply to
ARW

Thanks. I'll check if that's how my acquaintance and his sparks mate do it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

A builder I know says that's what he does. The plus is that he can schedule the work as he wants and avoid one or two of the drama queens we have in this locality.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Under part p as it was originally drafted, there was no scope to do what you describe[1]. I have a feeling there either was a suggestion to change this or it may have actually changed to allow it since this is what in reality often[2] happens when you do involve LABC.

[1] You could either either self certify if a member of a club that conferred that right, or you could do it with inspections by LABC. There was no facility to self certify someone else's work. [2] "Often" as a proportion of those exceedingly rare times that anyone pays it any attention whatsoever.
Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, it's common in the building trade and is perfectly legal

Reply to
Phil L

apprentices are employed by the Part P registered business, so are covered by the Part P self-certification. The level of supervision is up to the business.

for the Wiring Regs certification, yes. But Part P requires the work to be done by a Part P registered business, and if the person is receiving payment direct from the customer they're not covered. It's the same as a gas fitter doing private jobs but registered with Gas Safe under his employer's registration.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

[Snip] or be certified by a third party - possibly your local council's Building Control
Reply to
charles

District Auditors typically advise Regularisation via an EICR.

Part P registration may be a substantial business, with QA electricians che= cking work, but there have been instances where they are too overworked to = do it in full. Example being the quality of insulation work is often extrem= ely variable, the devil is in the details and workmanship can vary from per= fectly competent builders as "subs" to imbecile kitchen fitters not tighten= ing a screw.

Domestic electrician work breakdown structure is 99% perspiration, 1% calcu= lation, but being paid at rates for 99% calculation :-) So removing the per= spiration part tends to not go down well. That said, if an electrician will= not do it, then BC is the route, but beware they may want to see work unco= vered re cable sizes, spacing, routes, yadda yadda. The alternative is hiri= ng cable tracing tools from Fluke and so on. A load of bollocks considering= what I have uncovered over the years - many drama queen electricians were = atrocious for many years before achieving some level of competency and peop= le are having to pay twice: THAT is what annoys a lot of people about the e= lectrical system.

Reply to
js.b1

AIUI, it's allowed, legal and impossible.

No sensible sparky will certificate another's work. They can't see the intermediate workmanship, they carry the risk of having their name on the certificate, but they don't get to make a living off the bill for carrying out the work.

Reply to
Andy Dingley