Spare red diesel

I've got 5 gallons of red diesel left over from when I hired a digger a few weeks ago - I don't think I'll have a use for it in the foreseeable future.

Does anyone see a problem with me pouring it into a heating oil tank containing about 1000 litres of 28sec heating oil?

Reply to
Bodgit

I cannot see a problem at that dilution.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Good news! Ta!

Reply to
Bodgit

Argh mixed units does me 'ed in after a long days work. Can't even remember how many litres there are in a gallon... B-)

gallons 22 litres or just over a jerry can full.

Where are you? The genset runs on red...

Couldn't you flog it to the hire company?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Keep a couple of litres as a cleaning fluid, its handy stuff

NT

Reply to
Tabby

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bodgit saying something like:

You're not supposed to; according to Grant and Firebird techs, mixing a bit of diesel with kerosene is a no-no. However, I've done it plenty of times on mine and it simply doesn't bother it at all.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , Tabby writes

Keep it to mix with old engine oil, and use as homebrew 'creosote'.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Partly serious question... Often wondered about that - does it have to be "old" oil - maybe to give the sheds some patina? I have a container with unused engine oil from way back, so it qualifies as "old" - but not used...

Reply to
Geo

New oil's ok too. My experience with this oil/paraffin mix so far is that sometimes it works, sometimes not.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

In message , Geo writes

I suspect that new engine oil doesn't have the 'goodness' of black, treacly, sludgy, well-used engine oil!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

It has more detergents than the old stuff and has less stuff linked to cancer. That makes old engine oil more similar to creosote I suppose.

Reply to
dennis

Old, used oil is effectively free.

Reply to
Scott M

But, of course, these days, far fewer of us do home servicing, and so have less chance to acquire used oil.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

But enough of us do for the repeated request, "How do I get engine oil off the driveway?"

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

You are supposed to put a container under the sump plug before you remove it. B-) Chnaged the mower oil the other wekk not a spot of oil on the drive.

Of course these days a spot of oil on the drive is a Bad Thing, not that long ago oil on the drive thick enough to form a mini slick was common place, the seals just leaked. They don't now so people have got used to clean drives.

My solution is a squirt of neat washing up liquid worked in with a stiff brush and left for the rain to deal with.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The time before last I placed a plastic sheet on the drive, then put my proper oil catching can on top. The sump plug is on the side and the oil came out so fast it ran uphill on the collection side of the can, over the lip and promptly dissolved the plastic sheet! The oil of course was too hot for me to get the sump plug back in!

No, we used to keep the leaking cars on the road instead of the drive ;)

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker