Spare parts for secateurs

I have a perfectly good pair of Fiskars by-pass secateurs except that I have lost the spring which goes between the handles and this makes them very awkward to use.

Has anybody any idea where I could buy a new spring? While we're at it, how do I describe such a spring - concentric? rolled?

Thanks Pete

Reply to
petek

I have managed to get a suitable spring in the past, but that was when there was good tool shop in the nearest town. The shop is now "Cath Kidston". What is the world coming to?

Reply to
charles

lost the spring which goes between the handles and this makes them very awkward to use.

I describe such a spring - concentric? rolled?

According to the Fiskars UK site they appear to keep spares for just one model, the pruner 111960. It may be worth dropping them an email. Failing that Felco have spares for most if not all their kit so either treat yourself to one of their excellent secateurs/pruners or if you can work out the approximate dimensions of the spring you have lost, see if a Felco spare will fit.

Reply to
rbel

lost the spring which goes between the handles and this makes them very awkward to use.

I describe such a spring - concentric? rolled?

That type of spring is called a Volute spring.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

We bought a set of Fiskars long-handled edging shears, and very quickly there appeared rust spots on the blades. A little correspondence with Fiskars resulted in the delivery of a new pair, complete with maintenance kit, which had not come with the original set. Excellent service.

Reply to
Davey

Just last week, I too lost the concentric/rolled/telescopic spring for my secateurs. It's so easy to dislodge this type of spring, and I would have thought that it would be possible to design things so that it was much more difficult (although it IS an obvious way of designing-in obsolescence). Fortunately, Robert Dyas had a cheap pair (£6.99?), but they're somewhat smaller than my now-springless secateurs.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

lost the spring which goes between the handles and this makes them very awkward to use.

do I describe such a spring - concentric? rolled?

In the past I have emailed spring manufactureres (google) sometimes hit lucky although I did usually email a picture with dimensions.

Reply to
ss

lost the spring which goes between the handles and this makes them very awkward to use.

do I describe such a spring - concentric? rolled?

Which makes it easy to find a supplier. In Australia...

polygonum

Hey! A quick Google on 'secateur spring" turned up at al.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Poundland sell a really rubbish pair of secateurs for um.. £1 but they come with a coiled spring that should fit most by-pass type secateurs, well it did mine anyway.

-
Reply to
Mark

lost the spring which goes between the handles and this makes them very awkward to use.

I describe such a spring - concentric? rolled?

This any good ?

or maybe

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

And with Hampton court just around the corner bet there are loads on offer as well. Actually many moons ago, I replaced a busted spring in one old pair with an old pressure roller spring from a very old very dead Phillips VCR!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There are several UK sellers on eBay - various lengths for under £2 including postage.

Reply to
Reentrant

lost the spring which goes between the handles and this makes them very awkward to use.

I describe such a spring - concentric? rolled?

Thanks Guys. Now I know it's called a "volute" spring I can see quite a few places on t'internet to get one from.

Incidentally, I do grip them like a pair of pliers but I usually end up crushing my little finger when I suddenly cut through!

Cheers Pete

Reply to
petek

Not your little finger, I hope!