Spare irrigation water...

Now it seems to be chucking it down all the time, what should I do with my spare rainwater?

Currently I have about 8,500L of rainwater storage, currently all full. The excess water is now ending up down the drain.

What would be the best thing to do with this water? Let it overflow down the drain, as it is currently doing or dump it on the garden (Grass or flower beds, or both?) (I am sure the neighbours will think I am mad, watering the garden when it is raining!) or maybe something else I haven't though of?

I will be installing a new header tank in the loft to feed the toilets. I will be filling this from the rainwater store with a float valve at the normal level, plus I will install another one much lower, connected to the mains (I assume I need a double check valve here, so the irrigation water cant get into the mains water), so if the irrigation system fails to fill the header tank, the toilets will automatically revert to the mains. - This will help, but I am sure there will still be an excess to deal with somehow!

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Drink it. Haven't you seen Dr Strangelove?

Reply to
Doki

On the garden would be better, environmentally, if your garden can take it.

No need. Install both float valves above the overflow level. Then use a cranked ballcock to get the low water level required on the mains filler.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

My washing machine and surplus gutter water is soaking into the flower beds and therefore eventually(?) perculating down and becoming the ground water that East Surrey water seem to be so short of, then they can sell it back to me! In, I suspect my innocence, this seems so much better than sending it staraight into the North sea via the local sewage works and the Thames.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Sell it on Ebay.