spanner recommendations

I'm looking for spanners with slim/thin heads.
I regularly have to make an adjustment to a jig which adjustment then has to be secured by locking two nuts against each other. Problem is the nuts are quite thin and access is restricted. Result is things are getting butchered when regular spanners slip.
Google-ing turns up lots of references to 'Slim' spanners but I'm not sure if they are referring to spanners with slim shanks or what.
Anyone got any hands-on experience ?
Many thanks in advance
Paul Mc Cann

What size are the nuts? Don't suppose they're the same size as the flats on the cones on bicycle axles? - because you can get very thin spanners for adjusting the cones - or you could when Adam was a lad, anyway! [Haven't needed any for the last 30 years!]
--
Cheers,
Set Square

If they're metric, then you're probably in luck http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/conewrenches.html
Sheldon is right about the black Parks ones being the best. Cone wrenches are _very_ thin. They're quite strong if they're truly square, but as soon as they're allowed to tilt there's a risk of them twisting.
I'd probably use some nasty old Draper or something and give it an introduction to Mr Angle Grinder.

This is the reason I always accept odd spanners, then I can just grind the head down as necessary.
MrCheerful

[snip]
I'm pretty certain that my dad has some slim spanners - SnapOn ones (he was a mechanic for 40 years and has a great collection of tools to borrow :-)
Being SnapOn they will be horrendously expensive. If you only want one or two it maybe worth it though. Not sure how you would buy them though as I don't think they sell to the public. Maybe pop into you local friendly local garage and ask to have a look? I suspect they will have a catalogue and would probably be willing to order for you in exchange for a beer voucher.
Darren
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:49:01 +0000, Paul Mc Cann
Britool, now owned by the French and going downhill fast as a result. Their spanners are ridiculously expensive but last for ever (The set I have predate the French fortunately but are now over 50 years old [no - I didn't buy then as new]).
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

You've never forgiven them for the Saniflo, Peter, have you? :-)

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:49:01 +0000, Paul Mc Cann
They are called "Tappet Wrenches" in the US.
Google will display many sources.

Remove SPAM from email address