Spanner for undoing kitchen tap

What do I need to undo a hard to get at couple of nuts on a single hole mixer tap? It is sat between a double basin sink and will be a pig without the right tool. Off to Screwfix to buy a tap tomorrow to replace the failed one.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I have one of those to do. The correct tool is supposedly one of these.

Or something similar - they do a bigger set with all the sizes.

In practice, those are really fiddly to use in a confined space. Been there, T shirt etc.

I rather regret not buying a set of extra deep sockets.

That would be easy to use with an extension bar and ratchet. However, the buggers at SF don't tell you the length of the sockets.

Reply to
GB

Box spanner

Also if you have a set of car sockets/ratchet driver/extension bar you can attach this to the other end of the box spanner to give better access or more leverage

Example clips from a youtube video demonstarting the above

View the whole video and it will give you the general instructions for the whole installation of single hole pillar taps

Reply to
alan_m

They say the bar is 230mm so just crudely scaling the photo suggest that they are around 60 mm deep in use. As you say, an extension bar would be required. A box spanner is much longer and being double ended a socket/ratchet drive can be attached to to the unused end.

Reply to
alan_m

Scroll down about a quarter of the way.

Reply to
David Lang

The set I have, has three spanners that can be arranged to all drive each other in some combination or other. They are probably only 6" each, but that has always been plenty.

Reply to
John Rumm

Undo the pipework, supply and waste, at the nearest convenient joints. Lift whole sink and do what you need to the tap with good access to the underside of the sink.

Then follow the Haynes manual mantra.

Reply to
polygonum

I must try that. I tried using my socket set to drive the other end of the box spanner, but it tends to slip. It didn't occur to me that I could use the box spanners instead.

Reply to
GB

find that the kitchen sink is sealed to the worktop so strongly lifting it cracks the top laminate of the work surface. I have the T-shirt.

Reply to
alan_m

GB wrote in news:nggdhb$ulo$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Thanks - I will probably only use it once - have ordered one from Screwfix and will be going down later to collect it and to take my daughter to select a tap (and pay)

Reply to
DerbyBorn

And if you have solvent-welded plastic joints?

Reply to
Reentrant

DerbyBorn wrote in news:XnsA60069B6C4546TrainJPlantntlworldc@81.171.92.222:

Job done - glad I had the box spanners. Made it easy.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I used a sawn off end of one of those the other weekend to undo the nut on a radiator fan on my car - couldn't get a socket or conventional spanner in, but could use that sleeved over the nut then turned by a conventional spanner. Very tedious it was too.

Reply to
Clive George

Numerous options including cut and re-weld, cut and replace with non-weld (push-fit), replace the whole lot!

I thought it was less common for waste pipes and traps to be entirely welded? Don't most have some screwed up joints. somewhere?

Reply to
polygonum

A sensible point, but the two I did were fine. One a fairly standard inset where the sealing strip peeled acceptably and was even re-usable. The other was lay-on sink where it was absolutely impossible to access the backnuts on the taps (they were not the type described by the OP - but the issue is more or less the same).

Reply to
polygonum