Spammed by Screwfix?

Page 7 of 7
Capitol wrote:

???
Another clueless twit? Come out of hibernation early have we?
--
Grunff

Oh look everybody "Huge" has *plonked* me.
Oh the shame, how could you do such a thing, life just isn't worth it if "Huge" isn't reading my posts.
Like anyone's bothered!
Read my lips "get a life" plonker.
Mike P.
"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" wrote:

[snip]
Was it really worth posting *18* posts on this subject compared to the 1 second it takes to hit delete on a piece of unwanted email? As Dave said, at least it was from a company you use.
--
Scott

big snip

force
as
(not
therefore not be afforded the new protection.

Screwfix have an interesting interpretation of the legislation here. It is true that the legislation is mainly aimed at private email and that companies won't be allowed to email individuals unless they have opted in. Business email addresses can be contacted as long as the email is related to the business that has already taken place between the two parties and a specific opt-in is not required, but only if those businesses were given an opt-out option when their details were first collected and chose not to opt out.
Phil

More to the point how do you differentiate 'business' and 'individual' E-Mail addresses? It suggests a total misunderstanding of E-Mail and the internet if TPTB think there is an actual difference.

case
in
without
send
long
is
in.
related to

an
opt
Well, I have a work email address and a private email address. When I leave this company, I lose my work email address but keep the private email address. Quite a clear differentiation between them in that respect - though I agree, from Screwfix's point of view, all email addresses are possibly business as they are customers and have a business relationship. Also, knowing automatically which email address is private and which is business isn't generally possible (can't assume .co.uk is just business). I suspect there will be a new box to tick on signup forms "Is this a business email address?".

Er, yes, but no possible way to differentiate by looking at the address. How are senders of unsolicited mail supposed to find out whether an address is a 'business' address or an 'individual' address? Not to mention that I'm not convinced that a your work E-mail address is necessarily a business E-Mail address, if it's something like ' snipped-for-privacy@some.company.co.uk' then it's still an individual being addressed, apparently. Similarly I might perfectly well decide that my personal/individual address is going to be snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk, is that an individual address or a business addres?

If the company peronsalises the emails they send and includes that company name in the email (something like, Hi Fred, As one of our valued customers we thought Bloggs Industries would love to hear about...) then they would appear to be trying to ensure that they only reach legitimate business customers.
Phil

So what about xxx.demon.co.uk domains? Demon is most certainly a business but their customers may or may not be businesses.
This 'business'/'individual' distinction is simply a non-starter.

The Boulder Pledge doesn't say "I won't buy anything from a spammer", but rather "I won't buy anything advertised in spam". Of course, you're perfectly at liberty to create and implement your own stricter pledge (the Gloucester Pledge, perhaps?), but it won't be the Boulder Pledge.
Simon Blake

Fair comment Simon. *I* prefer not to do business with spammers at all. I've stopped using Onetel too as they keep getting Indian telemarketers to harass me by phone!

Good grief man. Hit the delete key and get on with your life for pity's sake.
I get over 120 spams a day - yes it's annoying but spam filter puts it in a spam folder and it's deleted.
I'm sure they had a great laugh when they got your invoice!