Spammed by Screwfix?

Page 3 of 7  
On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 14:02:21 +0000, Tony Bryer wrote:

Don't forget gun control and abortion.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The other day I telephone ordered some items (cc purchase) from a firm and they wanted my phone number. I gave them only my disposable mobile number. They rang back a week later saying the order had arrived but on their bank's instructions, they wouldn't despatch them without a landline number. I said that company policy was absolutely not to give them a landline number - even if (for the sake of argument) there was one.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yes, I was going to point this out too - however whilst this group doesn't have a charter, the FAQ states that 4 lines of 75 characters are allowed as signature adverts for posters.
Must admit though - its theft of my bandwidth by all of about 100 characters ;) Its certainly unsolicited and commercial though... bulk... well, its indiscriminate...
I'd like to opt out of it please. ;)
D
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

What people put in their sigs is irrelevant. Providing they are properly formed, they can put what they like.
--
"The road to Paradise is through Intercourse."
[email me at huge [at] huge [dot] org [dot] uk]
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
But AJL is advertising just like Screwfix, but unlike Screwfix who he is subscribed to by virtue of purchasing from them we on the newsgroup have to put up with AJL's spams (advert for his web sites) every time he replies to a post in this thread!.
Mike P.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I know it's a question of semantics, but is it really spam if someone to whom you have freely given your email adress and possibly purchased from, then sends you adverts? I don't consider this the same thing as the normal sort of spam, which is a real problem.
I've snipped the adverts from the orignal post...
Lee
--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Blaver wrote:

I'm with you here. But if the OP decides that he never wants to deal with Screwfix ever again then a proverb about noses and cutting comes to mind.
--
Tony Bryer SDA UK 'Software to build on' http://www.sda.co.uk
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The fact that they have been trusted my email address does not give them the right to ignore my instructions NOT to spam me. If they can't offer me this simple courtesy, I have no wish to use their service anymore.
--
AJL Electronics (G6FGO) Ltd : Satellite and TV aerial systems
http://www.classicmicrocars.co.uk : http://www.ajlelectronics.co.uk
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Electronics) wrote:

Fair enough. But who is the loser?
--
Tony Bryer SDA UK 'Software to build on' http://www.sda.co.uk
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Only them, although I don't suppose they will even notice. :-)
There are reputable suppliers out there like Unifix who I always used to use. They will match Screwfix for price but give a better service.
--
AJL Electronics (G6FGO) Ltd : Satellite and TV aerial systems
http://www.classicmicrocars.co.uk : http://www.ajlelectronics.co.uk
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
AJL wrote:

Ang about a mo, did you say "always used to use", "match the price", "better service" Well why do you use Screwfix in the first place ??
And I assume by the fuss that Unifix won't send you any special offers or latest additions to their catalogue by email because you don't like these kind of spam's?.
You would just have to wait until they send you an updated hardcopy catalogue through the post, say every 3 months?
Why don't you just 'bite the bullet' on this issue because you will just dig your pit deeper & deeper!.
Mike P.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Certainly.
Because diversity of suppliers is important.

Quite. My email facility is for the use of my customers as is my phone. The use of either by spammers is not appreciated.

Which now get returned with a note that we don't deal with spammers.
--
AJL Electronics (G6FGO) Ltd : Satellite and TV aerial systems
http://www.classicmicrocars.co.uk : http://www.ajlelectronics.co.uk
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Mike P stated > You would just have to wait until they send you an updated hardcopy catalogue through the post, say every 3 months?

spammers.
SO now you also tell us that you send the hardcopy catalogues back to the senders, this just gets better!.
Tell me, when you send out leaflets, paper adverts, radio adverts and if you reach the dizzy heights of success TV adverts will you expect the public to send them all back to you, because those people did not ask for them, hey they might send YOU a bill for wasting THEIR time!.
Mike P
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Wrong.
The advert is paid for and supports the paper. Without it, the paper may not exist. (Ditto, BTW, snail mail spam).
OTOH, email spam is paid for by the recipient. How would you like to get Xmas catalogues sent to you snail mail with postage owing? Because that's what spam is.
--
"The road to Paradise is through Intercourse."
[email me at huge [at] huge [dot] org [dot] uk]
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Why disclose your email address anyway?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

It was a "refer a friend" on their website. Luckily I always use a unique address for this sort of thing so that I can track any untoward use. My mail is filtered by spamblocked.com too, so it is easy to get junk stopped at the router.
--
AJL Electronics (G6FGO) Ltd : Satellite and TV aerial systems
http://www.classicmicrocars.co.uk : http://www.ajlelectronics.co.uk
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I'm sorry but I fail to see the problem. As a customer of Screwfix you have received emails from them about their products. You requested to be removed from their list, which they did, however emails still got through before your request was processed (by a 3rd party).
You also were referring to legislation which has not come into effect yet (which excludes emails to business email accounts which are still unregulated)
Their letter has actually raised my impression of Screwfix as they obviously take customer comments seriously and have acted responsibly in my opinion.
Incidentally, with letters, the contents (ie. words) of the letter are copyright of the author. The medium on which they are written (eg. paper) can be sold but not republished without permission of the author. Therefore, copy/pasting an email/letter into a newsgroup posting without permission of the author isn't right. Any disputes, do a search on newsgroups for "legal publish letter" and see what comes up.
D
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

No I haven't. I specifically said they should NOT spam me.

I pointed out their transgression and gave them the opportunity to remedy it.

Not my problem. There were three weeks between my letter and their subsequent spam.

That came from a comment in my telephone call to them about what they intend to do once the new legislation is brought in. You can see that it will not make the slightest difference to them. I am sick of having to spend time sorting out my genuine customer emails from junk that I have not asked for, and indeed have specifically rejected. Reputable companies do not spam. Those who spam me, lose my business, it's as simple as that.
--
AJL Electronics (G6FGO) Ltd : Satellite and TV aerial systems
http://www.classicmicrocars.co.uk : http://www.ajlelectronics.co.uk
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Andy 'Fuckwit' Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:

It would appear from your actions that you have more than enough time on your hands. As you & they used a unique address, block it and move on.
--
Toby.

'One day son, all this will be finished'
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

promotions' option was selected?

so all this fuss is because they took a few weeks to process this. Ok, you could reasonably argue that in this day and age that is longer than necessary - but is all this ranting really necessary over few emails?
I've never been sent such emails from Screwfix, given the number of us here that use them I would have expected more messages of support for you if this was a such a great problem.
--
Chris French, Leeds

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.