Spammed by Screwfix?

In message , David Hearn writes

It's allowable within the constitution of the newsgroup to add a "short" advert to the sig. Personally I choose not to, but I don't see why other people shouldn't if they wish

Reply to
geoff

Ooops, try again...

Reply to
Scott Mills

Hell I was glad to get it at least I could read it with interest instead of spending all my free time dealing with all these naughty Russian schoolgirls out there. ;-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Sorry to be blunt, but I think the original poster is a fool to himself and has shot himself in the foot....!

I agree with Screwfix.

morgan

Reply to
morgan

In my case, yes.

I've never given my email address to Screwfix, nor have I had email from them. If they ever did send me some, it would have been from purchasing a list, and that's a hanging offence on my mailer.

Axminster OTOH do have my email address (for I once ordered on-line, before abandoning it to go back to the phones). They spam me regularly, and I wish they didn't. But in the current vague environment, I'm prepared to give an existing supplier some leeway for cluelessness, rather than assuming evil spammerhood. I'd even prefer it if they'd just get a damned clue and not send me emails that are unreadable in plain text.

So broadly I'd have to agree with you. It's an annoyance (do they really _want_ to annoy customers ?), but I'll put up with it. One step further though, and they're off my Xmas card list - I reaqlly don;t want companies to think that "spam is OK"

This morning I had 10 offers for a "cleaner colon". Now that's _real_ spam.

Andy Dingley

So if my "software is supposed to snip anything after the delimiter" why do you put it there then?

Reply to
usenet

I too have bought from screwfix, I too have always opted out of all e-mail offers. I do not need to know about all their special offers, or indeed any of their special offers. I like to buy things to my timescales, not to theirs. I too have started to get spam from screw fix. I too have re -opted out and am still getting the e-mails. To me this is spam. Clearly they have good products and sell them cheaply. Thus they have a good reputation and are liked on this group. It is unfortunate that their unsolicited e-mail policy is so harsh.

To my mind they are spammers. They are sending out e-mails that people do NOT want and have specifically requested to be removed from their database. I do not accept that 3 weeks is an acceptable length of time to get removed from a mailing list in this day of modern technology. I feel that this delay is merely an excuse to allow them to keep on mailing.

Now knowing their spamming policy I would look elsewhere first for what I want before using them, and then using them only if they are significantly cheaper.

That said the OP is going over the top regarding invoicing them and taking them to court. I have better things to do with my life than feeding trolls and spammers. Richard

Reply to
Richard

I'm slightly confused here. Screwfix only really do mail order, so without an up to date catalogue, I'm not sure how you'd deal with them easily? And surely the same applies to fliers or e-mails with special offers etc?

Personally, I've no objection to e-mail 'fliers' from companies I deal with, and will indeed sometimes even take advantage of the offers.

Spam, to me, is completely unsolicited e-mail from someone I've had no dealings with or likely to have.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

You have a choice, save a few quid and get some spam, or pay a few quid more for a product and get no spam. The choice is yours, as the saying goes - 'There is no such thing as a free lunch'.

Reply to
Jerry.

In message , Mike P writes

Possibly, but IME unlikely for me.

I don't subscribe to anything with them.

I order things that I want when I want them for the normal reasons., their prices are pretty good, delivery is usually good etc.

For the same reasons as I don't want junk snail mail or junk phone calls. While there is a small possibility I may derive some benefit, the hassle factor isn't worth it for me.

YMMV (it would seem :-))

Reply to
chris French

To be more accurate, it is supposed to snip the delimiter and anything after it. But not for display...for followups.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You would be correct in that assumption.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Certainly.

Because diversity of suppliers is important.

Quite. My email facility is for the use of my customers as is my phone. The use of either by spammers is not appreciated.

Which now get returned with a note that we don't deal with spammers.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Thanks for that. Must be something in the translation of URLs as I am hosted now rather than redirected. It's time I sorted the site out, but this time of the year it isn't really possible.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

No, that is the point. They ignored my original instruction when I provided the address.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

I have a catalogue collection to select my purchases. I specifically selected "No email contact" on the initial webpages. That setting was ignored. The reson no contact is wanted is that the email facility is exclusively for customer contact and I know that I have accidentally lost enquiries in the murk of general spam.

I have no objection if they have been requested. To ride roughshod over the customer's instruction is not on.

Fair enough, but spam is unsolicited email, regardless of an existing relationship if no prior consent has been given.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Yes you are quite right. Thanks for the expansion.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Well said Dave, I'll second that.

Mike P.

Reply to
Mike P

Yeah, I'd imagine that there's lots of people wanting to get Sky etc installed ready for Christmas!

:)

David Hearn

I'd have to think about it. I don't normally do business with spammers, but I was a Screwfix customer *before* they spammed me, and I'm not sure I would want to go back to not using them.

Depends. Editing /etc/postfix/reject takes 30 seconds. OTOH, I have sacked suppliers from $2M maintainance contracts for being completely crap.

The content is irrelevant. They are both unsolicited commercial email, which I have had to pay for to have delivered.

Reply to
Huge