Spalling bricks

The top layer of bricks on the wall surrounding our flats, built in

2003, has started to spall due to the freezing weather last winter and probably the wrong bricks used by the builder. The builder and NHBC have both denied any responsibility and it is down to us to solve the problem as economically as possible. Court action would probably be expensive and futile. We could of course have all the top layer removed and replaced by the correct type of brick, but does anyone have a cheaper solution? The wall is about 300 metres long.
Reply to
chudford

NHBC wont give a shit because it's not structural.

I would doubt there is any other option than replacing the wrong bricks with the correct ones.

Reply to
Davey

A clear masonry sealer or a masonry paint would prevent further damage from the same cause, as would fitting capping stones. Sealer / paint won't hide the damage, but an overhanging capping stone might make it less obvious.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

This is the one case one of those coatings that soak into the bricks and seal them actually work.

I had a bit of a problem where water was splashing onto some render and freezing. I applied the stuff, repainted, and its fine now. No probs last winter at all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When we had a similar problem on the top of the walls of an industrical unit, we installed a capping of folder zinc sheet and totally solved the problem - contractor made a very neat and tidy job of it.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson