Spacing frame off floor ?

I have recently built a large outbuilding ... basically a barn style double bay .. one side a boat store the other a car port.

black damp course on middle post is to stop damn cats scratching pots, they are ruining it)

On the car port side the intent is to put a cross wall in place about 2m from the back, creating a 'shed' inside the car port (man must have a shed)

Under adverse whether, sometime rain blows in from the front and thus floor can get wet ...

Thoughts are that when I build the cross wall (100 x 38) instead of fixing to floor, that I space the soleplate up about 6mm or so, fixings would be down through the spacers, allow wall to still be anchored to floor, but 10mm off it.

I can image that some strips of Nylon, Tuffnol , Polypenco etc. 100 x 50 x 6mm would do the job.

Not sure where I would get these, so anybody else got any suggestions for some waterproof packers ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Treated timber, but higher than you have suggested.

Re cats, a) some hessian/sissal rope wrapped around a post or b) fix a piece of treated timber narrow-edge-vertical to two posts low to the ground or holding back earth/planter/etc. Cats like to stretch along the timber with their front paws side-by-side clawing at the wood. It stops them doing it to the rear of furniture, they like something they can hook their claws into and drag them out again. Hmmm... Gordon Brown & Mandelson should have been given one long ago as comforters.

Reply to
js.b1

"Gordon Brown & Mandelson should have been given (TO) one long ago as comforters".

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

auctions

The wall will be teated timber, so want any sapcer to be something non absorbent ...

There is a whole load of timber there they could scratch ... but hey keep going for the center post.

I have bought scent attractant and sprayed on another piece of timber - no joy. I then built a scent repellant (bitter apples spray) and sprayed post - no difference.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

have a pack of these .. used them yesterday to fit 2 windows.

They are OK for packing out glazing panes & windows, but not very substantial to rest a weight of wall on them. As they have raised ridges as the contact pints these would sink into wood over time (assume)

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Why not put a course of bricks down, DPC on them and build onto that

NT

Reply to
NT

Why not put a course of bricks down, DPC on them and build onto that

NT

The outer walls are built that way, (3 courses) I didn't want to go to bother of brickwork for internal wall.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

2mm (at least that's what I've got) rigid UPVC sheet. Fairly cheap to buy, but mine's S/H from old advertising boards.
Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thought I'd post result .. for anybody in future.

A guy on eBAy sells all sorts of plastics incl, Nylon, HDPE. Tuffnol etc. ..... I told him what I wanted and he a piece of 300 x 100 x 8mm HDPE at very reasonable £3

eBay user: gfgplasticfabricationsltd

Rick Hughes