Space, stair & velux siteing regulations

I'm hopeing to insert a new floor above my stairwell, which will require a new staircase.

Presently this is coming in at a steep 9 * 7.5" rises over a total 26" horizontal, this is a little flexible but that isn't far off the lowest gradient I can manage. What are the rules governing these measurements?

The space of the mezzanine itself fits in a lowered loft space, and will be approx ~6' high at the apex going down to ~3' at the eaves. Are there any regulations as to space requirements? Use is occasional bedroom.

I was hopeing to put a velux in the roof, but am unsure how planning permission may be affected by this, it can go on either aspect, but the preferred one will overlook other properties and there is no way to get it high enough to prevent this (6' max height of space). If it goes on the other aspect, I just see next doors roof. I don't expect planning is required other than for this reason, if at all. I think I can get a letter from the Council saying "You don't need planning permission", if indeed I don't.

Reply to
VisionSet

The first thing you need to look at is the building regulations because regardless of any planning permission requirement you will need approval from the building control section of your local council. Before you do anything else go and talk to them because it may save you a lot of wasted time and money.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Yes my question was intended to encompass building regulations and thus possibly save me even more time.

General knowledge of these regulations, input required.

Common sense, plenty of, not required.

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

That sounds more like a ladder than a staircase! To meet building regs the maximum inclination of the stair should be 42 degrees. Max rise per step of 220mm and minimum going per tread of 220mm. Note that you can't have the max rise and min going in use at the same time.

More details here:-

at Part K. Note that the rules can be relaxed in some cases for loft conversions.

Don't think there is a minimum height requirement for the room itself. There is one for the headroom over a staircase though. (at least 1.9m in the centre of the treads)

As long as you are not in a conservation area or own a listed building then PP is highly unlikely to be required for a velux - even if facing the highway.

Reply to
John Rumm

All very well Mike but many are lacking this vital item! I still say go and talk to them because there are all sorts of factors. Without a detailed knowledge of your property it is not possible to give a detailed answer.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Consider using a spiral staircase. You haven't a hope in hell of getting such a steep straight step approved.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

is the minimum permitted stair width for such things? I did follow the link but got pretty lost!

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

A more specific link:

6 in the PDF is the start of the section on stairs, page 7 talks about width requirements. The basic gist is there are no explicit width requirements for a domestic stair as a result of this part of the regs. However they may be if the stair is a means of escape, when the fire regs might kick in, or, if the stair is providing access for disabled people. In which case consult documents B for the former and M for the latter.

Reply to
John Rumm

There may be cases where a fixed ladder is acceptable... you would have to ask the BCO though.

Reply to
John Rumm

Failed - max of 42 degrees - i.e goings > risers See the K regs part 1 on the ODPM website

Again not legal. 2m is normal but for lofts 1m90 reducing to 1m80 at the sides is the minimum.

If it is only 6' max height I don't think you can call it a bedroom officially anyway. Not sure where I read that though.

Check your council's web site. Some requite permission for roof windows, some don't.

Reply to
G&M

Not when it's a bedroom. Look at alternating tread stairs provided your BCO to allow them.

Reply to
G&M

Not suprised. Alternatives, research, I will.

Thats a bit mean!

Don't care what it is called officially, it's really a mezzanine, I know an estate agent couldn't call it a bedroom, though the 6' figure you recollect is for horizonatal bed fitting and can't be under that for official bedroom status.

mmm, not looking good though is it ;-(

Reply to
VisionSet

Ang on, that makes the going on each step just 3" :) You'll be telling us you've got 4' of headroom next!

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I give up. These documents are as clear as a 10 acre mudfarm. I'm thinking of a loft room with 2 exits: the stair and a roof opening window.

Thanks, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton