Space Saving Stairs

Hi

Anyone have one of these?

's a space saving staircase intended for tight access to a loft conversion or storage area. I need to fit one, but no way am I paying the £368+ they want for a few bits of softwood screwed together.

Anyone got any idea about the dimensions so I can build my own?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The one shown is only really a posh ladder (a real spacesaver has alternate depth treads).

Looking at the picture you can guestimate at the rise and going (although note the top step on the picture is wrong and would not pass building regs (the rise should be the same as the other steps)).

If you take the total floor ceiling height at 2.2m that gives a step rise of 183mm. The angle looks like it is about 60 degrees (i.e. 'kin steep) so the going could be as little as 60mm.

Reply to
John Rumm

Everyone has problems with optical illusions. ;-)

-- Sir Benjamin Midllethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Erm! don't take this the wrong way Dave,but what if you got a call asking for that type of work to be done for a prospective client or is this a client?

Handymen are supposed to know these things. ;-)

-- Sir Benjamin Midllethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Sort of. It's my sister, hence the urge to reduce the cost by building one. She is paying me, albeit at mates rates.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sort the out the details ie dimensions and get a quote from a local wood yard/machine shop to have it constructed, a wood yard is normally cheaper than buying from stock.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

About the same as a step ladder, by the looks of it, so I suggest measuring one of those.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

The best price I found to have a staircase made (excluding ballustrading) was about £700 (although that was for a more complex stair with two quarter winds). Materials to DIY it cost me under £150.

Screwfix do some straight bog standard stair kits for £350, but their spacesaver one is £565!:

I would be supprised if he could get one made for less than the material cost.

Reply to
John Rumm

Perhaps, but that last step onto the top landing looks like it is about

1/3rd more rise than the step before. (zooming in, the rise is three mouse pointers Vs two on the lower step!)
Reply to
John Rumm

Get a copy of the building regs relating to this particular function, and you will find the crucial dimensions laid out in such a form as to make knocking up your own fairly easy.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Check with the BCO to get the exact specs that they will accept in the individual case. Before you know this, you can't design and build the staircase.

The BCO, for example, might say that it is possible to get a 42 degreee staircase in and that you are not allowed a space saver. Even if you are allowed a space saver, they might specify which types are acceptable. They might allow an alternate tread stair, but not a fixed ladder, for example.

BTW, the price seems quite reasonable to me. By the time you've made one yourself and bought the wood, you could have done loads of lucrative work.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle