sourcing replacement capacitor for bench grinder

Hi all my (cheap) bench grinder has stopped turning - I get a momentary judder when I switch it on ... then nothing.

First guess is the capacitor. I very quickly checked it out with a DMM

- will go a bit further with this shortly - and it may well be at fault. It's one of those with a mounting thread & screw at one end, for attaching to the body of the grinder.

Assuming this is indeed the fault, where can I get replacements from? I'm not sure of the term to use when searching for such beasts in the catalogues

Thanks Jon N

Reply to
jkn

from?

What does it say on the can? There should be an AC voltage rating and a capacitance value in microfarads usually written as uF. Beware motor capacitors come in two varieties. 'start' capacitors and 'run' capacitors. The former are momentarily rated and the later are continuously rated.

RS, CPC , & Farnell all stock them

AWEM

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

The message from "jkn" contains these words:

I got mine from the local motor rewinder, but you can get them from appliance repair shops, too.

Reply to
Guy King

Your best bet is to look in yellow pages for motor rewind firms. They can be found in most big towns. Take the capacitor along to them and they'll almost certainly be able to sort you out a new one.

Reply to
The Wanderer

Something like this might do

[These are intended for dishwashers, but may be similar.] Check the voltage and capacity (micro-farad) rating of your existing capacitor.

Reply to
Roger Mills

OK guys, thanks for the suggestions. I've found 'Start capacitors' and 'run Capacitors' with the stud in the FEC catalogue, and there is also a motor rewind place close by. I'm sure I can get sorted, cheers.

Jon N

Reply to
jkn

Actually of any scrap washing machine or dishwasher..I have just such here ex a failed dishwasher pump.

They are standard spares in many places that stock parts for the above, ditto not a few electronics components places. And E bay

Typically something like 4uF 450v (or 250V AC)will do the trick. They are not that special. something near value that fits will do. Do not relax voltage rating tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher