Sourcing powerful magnifying glass

Many years ago (20+) I used to live next to a (industrial) lens factory, and our neighbour who used to work there brought me a damaged magnifying glass. See a couple of photos here:

is much more powerful than the average ones that you can easily get, and I have used it ever since.

I now want another similar one, but looking online doesn't seem to bring up anything.

Any pointers will be much appreciated.

TIA.

PS: the factory no longer exist, and is more that 5000 miles away anyway?

Reply to
JoeJoe

Maybe "dome magnifier" as your search term?

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

How big is it ? 1 cm - 10 cm.

rusty

Reply to
therustyone

This looks like a condenser lens from an old-style photographic enlarger. Try your local camera club; they may have a redundant lens lying about, or they may be able to point you in the right direction. fredddie

Reply to
fredddie

This looks like a condenser lens from an old-style photographic enlarger. Try your local camera club; they may have a redundant lens lying about, or they may be able to point you in the right direction. fredddie

Or it could be a lense out of the old bicycle carbide lamps.

Reply to
SS

I have picked up all mine from old slide projectors.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Go look on ebay for Gnome Beta II enlarger. The condensers inside them looked exactly like that and were quite big

Reply to
Ericp

[Snip]

They used to be used for looking for small abnormalities on X-ray flims. Unfortunately nowadays X-rays are almost 100% digital. Probably also for other inspection tasks.

This is an example of what used to be available for USD 53. ;-)

magnification (used to be) 4x.

If 5" dia with mag. 2.5 will do (Like Sherlock Holmes) send me an email.

Derek G

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Is there anything useful here?

(No connection - not even as a customer. Though I do own one for the =

Belomo loupes they also offer.)

Reply to
polygonum

Most of mine come from Quicktest. Good honest reports of their products: they sell good stuff, they sell (some) cheap stuff, they tell you honestly which is which.

love my Zeiss headband magnifier. More expensive than an Optivisor, but there's a big difference in the image quality you get.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Certainly there are a lot of Dome magnifiers about, even the freznel ones made of plastic are quite good and a lot lighter than a huge lump of glass.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff