Sourcing a door

Eldest has put his foot through the hardboard on the living room door, (yup bed with no supper, grounded etc)am in the process of repairing the door(treating it like a hole in the wall, gluing a patch behind the hole, filling the hole, then painting the whole lot ) however see this repair as only temporary and am trying to source a replacement door thing is this door is 837 mm wide(trimmed) ie. wider than the standard supplied by B&Q, Homebase etc does any one know of a (preferably cheap) supplier in the Edinburgh area that will supply an interior door that can be sized to 837mm wide?

Reply to
soup

Grounded? I hope thats grounded with instructions to do the dishes for a week and help fix the problem...

Reply to
mogga

Virtually anyone should be able to supply one, it's a standard

2'9" door. Even TP have them for about £25. Try them, or Jewsons, or any BM.
Reply to
Chris Bacon

1981x838 (or 6'6" x 2'9" in old money) is a standard size for doors. Go to a proper timber merchants instead of the sheds.
Reply to
Tony Bryer

Pardon my ignorance but who is TP? I would have thought everybody and his brother would sell them too but the ones I saw on the net didn't, Jewsons just say we have a range of doors no sizes or prices are given (well that I can see). Have fired an e-mail off to Lawson's timber (in Edinburgh) but they get there doors from a sawmill in Glasgow so I have no idea if the free local delivery applies to me or not, £25 delivery seems a "tad" excessive for a £50 door.

Reply to
soup

tRavI5 P3rk1n5

Phone them up and ask them.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

He already "does" the dishes, when I went to live in digs (as a student) could cook, clean, iron etc. will not have any son of mine incapable of basic housekeeping tasks (even if sometimes it would be quicker/easier to do these things myself). Haven't fully decided how to punish him, he volunteers at the local RDA so he isn't allowed to do that this weekend he is too young to work (only just 13) so he can't pay for a new door and when I was fixing the door last night was too angry at him to trust myself to let him pass me things, so got his wee brother to do that (again with the would have been quicker/easier to do it myself)

Reply to
soup

Nope, still never heard of them. I am in the Edinburgh area maybe this is some sort of local or restricted to England firm.

Reply to
soup

If it is hardboard, quicker and cheaper to buy a sheet and simply replace that?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Chris Bacon

miles away, no Edinburgh branch

Reply to
soup

Thought just patching then filling the hole would be a lot less effort and as the door is to be replaced [1]anyway didnt want to expend to much effort. [1] Damage just means it is being replaced sooner rather than "one day".

Reply to
soup

No, he should buy a solid door so that the next time the offender kicks it he will have a very painful toe

Reply to
Tony Bryer

My thoughts exactly, just as an aside how much would a steel door cost ( :o) ) SWMBO wanted one with glass panels in, told her there was no way untill the kids where at a sensible age (not likely with the youngest he needs a lot of support ; developement delays ,"special" school the works) or they had moved out.

Reply to
soup

must be closer. Just ring 'em up!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Yup they are, tried on their web site it just says "browse our collection of doors" no sizes, prices or styles would 'phone for prices/sizes but we are not sure which style we want. May well go down there tommorow and have a look about, see what they have, what sizes they are in and what price they are, not looking to buy that cheap but then again we don't want to spend silly money.

Reply to
soup

By the time you have patched the door you could have ooked up the DIY shops in Yellow PAges, gone to a couple or three of them and selected a reasonable facsimile, took it home and offered it up to the previous hinge marks and cut the housings for the hinges.

In a little bit more time you'd have hung the door and put the furniture on it. For which info see this site's previous.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

No I couldn't have I have been indoors all day "babysitting" a sick child.

Reply to
soup

Did you look carefully in Homebase? IIRC, they do some sizes to order only.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Obviously not carefully enough as I didn't see a "made to measure" bit, however we seem to have sussed getting one from Lawsons just waiting on them replying to an e-mail now.

Reply to
soup