Sources of DIY information?

Hi. In connection with a small and highly experimental Wiki project I am contributing to, I was wondering if there were some good 'free' sources of useful sources of DIY, construction and building information?

The Project concerned is currently termed Wikiventory -

-

explanation is here:
the nature of Wikiventory, what I am looking for is some simple explanations of various Construction and DIY terms, and how they relate, so I can test the ideas mentioned in the above..

For example,

- Brick Wall = "A brick wall is made of [[brick]]s and [[cement]]"

- Brick = " A brick is a construction element, It is made from fired clay"

- Cement =" Cement is a binding material used in construction, It is made from [[Chalk]] and [[Clay]]"

or

- Window = " A window is an element in a wall There are many types of Window" and then go onto list say types of window like 'Sash Window' 'Skylight' etc...

Does anyone know of any good sources where I would find suitable explanations? (I am already aware of Wikipedia)

Reply to
usenet

ok, nitpick first. Lots of brick walls are not made from bricks and cement.

while true, that explains absolutely nothing. The purpose of a glossary is to explain, not meaninglessly fiddle about with words for the sake of it.

again...

If you want a glossary, just start a glossary thread here. If you want a how to, start a how to thread. uk.diy is a great place to learn about anything diy.

For a good glossary, see the uk.diy thread: Proper tool definitions and use :P

NT

Reply to
meow2222

At this level, perhaps you'd find suitable information in some basic illustrated dictionaries or encyclopedias. Is it that you want the information in electronic form?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack