Source of stick-type wallplugs

The plugs I have are about 8" long.

I'm running out of these, the little DIY place where I bought them closed down long ago, and the wiki says they're now rare.

A typical Edinburgh flat has up to 30mm of fairly soft plaster on top of the internal brick walls, so the plug-type wallplug is far from ideal, but if you can drill a 70mm hole and cut a matching piece of wallplug, you get a strong attachment into the brick for things like shelf brackets.

Anyone know of a supplier?

Reply to
Windmill

The fibre type? Not seem them for a while.

Use frame fixings?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Screwfix sell "Frame Fixings". These are designed for holding window frames in place and have plug lengths of anything up to 160mm. They come complete with screw and plug. I haven't seen the "cut to length" plugs for years

Reply to
charles

However ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , Windmill writes

Ebay of course :-)

Fischer also do some longer plugs

e.g.

Reply to
Chris French

For some reason I can't see the image, but like the OP I do find the long "cut to length required" extruded ones useful in the circumstances he describes. Frame fixings are inappropriate, except perhaps for very large fixing jobs.

Reply to
newshound

I usually use 2 standard plugs end to end for deep holes. Cut off the lips if the plug has them.

I've also used wood at times - but it usually has to be screwed twice, plugging the hole after 1st screw.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Of course!

A bit pricey though, £1-50 for 300 mm or £1 for five at a time

Reply to
newshound

Correction, the mixed pack with 15 for £5-99 is pretty reasonable (depending on the mixture!)

Reply to
newshound

Those aren't fibre ones - those are the godawful smooth plastic ones

Reply to
Tim Watts

OP never mentioned fibre ones - which I've not seen for ages, but i'm sure I've seen the plastic type in a local hardware store.

I don't like any of them, so haven't had any for years

Reply to
Chris French

/ Frame fixings are inappropriate, except perhaps for very large fixing jobs. /q

Eh???

30mm of plaster, then brick decent depth 50mm =80 mm plus what you are fixing.... Sure frame fixings are appropriate!

You looked at what you can get? They're not all massive numb 12mm diameter hole jobbies....

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Also, one of the Fischer frame fixings has loads of "teeth" down the sides which makes them really good in super soft block walls (even then a drop of araldite to stop them turning and grinding out the hole was needed).

This was for hanging shelves taking heavy loads.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Not answering the question, but you can stick two plugs into a deep hole and get a similar effect. (e.g. 2x brown plug, and 3 or 4" screw)

Reply to
John Rumm

If the "plaster" region is dodgy enough, you can end up missing the secure inner plug with the screw. If the screw is holding something with a distributed load (like a piece of batten) the fact that there is little structural strength in the plaster doesn't matter as long as the screw anchors well into the brickwork.

Reply to
newshound

You don't need to do that, you just put the screw in and tap it with a hammer to drive the plug into the brick rather than the plaster/air. Having two plugs one in the brick and one in the soft stuff doesn't make the fixing harder to pull out but it *may* stop you cracking plaster board if its a dry lined wall. I use filler or expanding foam to do that.

Reply to
dennis

Actually I find these quite effective *provided* you have enough plug fitted tight enough into the brick or stone "target". Because they are not just a plain "tube" they will take a relatively large screw compared to the drilled hole, and give a very secure fixing.

Reply to
newshound

What you say works for hard masonry + knackered plaster. 2 plugs works best where there isnt that contrast, or whre you need a deep strong fix in soft brick.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

This is true when the plaster is soft. However when you need a strong fixing into a sound wall, then two plugs can be worthwhile.

Reply to
John Rumm

Doesn't work for me. Somehow there always seems to be something which causes the bit to jump around a little when it hits the brick, making that part of the hole which is in plaster too large or irregular. Then it doesn't grip the plug which as a result just turns in the hole.

It's probably OK for deep holes where the material is the same all the way down, I think, but plaster over brick is a pain.