Source of small nylon gears?

My Fellowes shredder has decided to shred one of its reduction gears instead of the paper!

Fellowes don't carry spares for 'small' (domestic) shredders - presumably because the labour costs to fit spare parts would exceed the cost of a new shredder.

But those economics don't apply to DIY repairs - and I could get it going again cheaply if I could find a suitable gear.

It's the sort which has two integral coaxial gear wheels. The big one (about 51mm OD) has 39 smallish teeth and the small one (about 18mm OD) has - or rather HAD - 7 largish teeth.

A picture of what is left of the gear can be seen at

don't know whether Fellowes make their own gears, or buy in standard components. My gear carries the number 550307 - but Googling for that didn't yield anything useful.

I would need either a replacement for the whole thing, or just the

7-tooth gear - in which case I would need to machine the residue of the broken one from the larger gear and attach the new one to it in some way.

Anyone know of a source of this sort of thing?

TIA.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Paul - xxx

If you dont find what you need, epoxy is an option to recreate the 2nd gearwheel. Not a quick fix though.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Epoxy? How do you do that?

Reply to
jon-s44

If you have a "good" one you can try casting epoxy in a mould, e.g. RTV silicone or paraffin wax (you may have trouble with bubbles unless you warm the epoxy, which won't then work with wax.

Reply to
newshound