Source of flexible cable for soldering iron?

HI Folks Somebody must make / stock this stuff, but I've not been able to locate an online supplier.

Got a loverly new temp-controlled soldering iron (Hakko 610, if you're interested) for the stained-glass work. Only snag - the cable is really stiff & cumbersome - be much better if I could replace it with some of the silicon rubber stuff...

Spec - 3-core, iron rated 60w @ 110v (so less than an amp or so), bendy! Not fussed about it being heat-resistant - I don't intend poking it with the hot end of the iron!

If the same supplier also stocked USA-type mains plugs then that'd be a bonus - otherwise it's crimp connectors & gaffer tape.

Any suggestions please? Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

cheaper than spending £40+ on a whole drum ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Rapidonline sell Antex replacement cables both 3 and 5 core in 1.5m lengths. When I worked we were able to get 50m drums of the same cable from them cannot see it now but maybe I was looking in the wrong place.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Probably this.

Could start a business on eBay reselling cut lengths from that?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

RS/Farnell sell silicone mains flex too.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I've got an old Antex one here you could have for free. But it's 5 core from a 50 watt low volt (24v) temperature controlled type. 5mm diameter, black and 1.5m long. No plugs.

As a matter of interest, why not the more common low volt type? Since you must be using an expensive transformer for 110v? Unless the extra 10 watts is essential.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Maplin.

Reply to
Capitol

Kind offer - but I'm not sure what if the cable would handle 110v safely?

Good question. An iron with good temp control is a great help in stained-glass. Lead and solder are fairly close in terms of their melting point, and being able to fine-tune the temperature of the iron is also a big plus when doing copper-foil work. This particular iron isn't CE-marked, so it's not really 'sellable' in IRL / UK (240v) - but it is a very good iron, with a ceramic heating element and much faster re-heat than the wattage suggests.

I've got three 110v irons (all Hakko) and a 110v diamond-grinder - plus two sources of 110v in the workshop - so it all kind of makes sense.

By the way - went to Rapid and found the cable plus a few 'extras' - but the rotters wanted UKpounds 18 to deliver the goods to me here in Ireland. Tried Farnell / CPC - and they also wanted £18

Really pi**es me off when UK-based companies charge silly 'flat rate' prices for shipping... have to see if I can find somebody 'over here' who sells the stuff - 'cos £14.28 for 3 x 1.5m cable and then £18 delivery is daylight robbery!

One or two other bandits on ebay / amazon charging up to £12 for the same cable - looks more & more like I'll be rewiring them with lamp cable!

Thanks though! Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Thanks - couldn't see it there? They don't want to ship to Ireland (at all) it seems....

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

alan_m

There is that. Although the insulation thickness seems about the same as mains flex.

It's just that a low voltage temperature controlled solder station (normally 50 watts) would be better value due to being made in larger quantities. Assuming they do the right shaped bits for your needs.

If you've already got 110v, makes sense.

Oh dear.

CPC do free delivery in the UK. Rapid I think above a certain order value. Some also have a surcharge for small orders - they're really trade suppliers rather than retail.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

To be honest - I'm leaning towards using some bog-standard 3-core flex that's sitting in the workshop - and just take care to keep the hot bit of the iron away from it. I've got a 50m reel - so if I do cook it I can always re-do the cable!

I've never seen a soldering station used for stained-glass (other than for 'decorative' work) - though I've used many myself in electronics. May be something to do with 'heat capacity' (if there is such a thing!)

- the ability to get heat into the joint from the iron - where the joint is anything from a 1/4" wide piece of copper foil up to a 10mm chunk of lead came.

Yes!

Indeed!

Yes - I used cpc a godd deal in the past - they only charged a tenner or so for shipping to Ireland. But - a flat rate of ?18 suggests a certain 'go f**k yourself' attitude towards their valued (overseas) customers.

Lamp cable's looking more & more attractive by the day! Thanks A

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Thanks - but I'm not sure how that helps me? A

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

If you're using lamp cable, oversleeve with heat shrink tubing, this resists iron touches.

Reply to
Capitol

That's a thought - though it would tend to add extra 'stiffness' as well, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

I might just take a bit more care when waving the soldering iron about

There was a photo the other day in a facebook stained-glass group - topic was 'What's the worst injury you've sustained doing stained glass..?'

Apart from all the folks who'd managed to fall onto the edges of stacked glass, or shoved glass splinters under thier thumbnails - there was a photo from one person who said

"I was working with a soldering iron and a pair of needle-nosed pliers. I picked up the soldering iron by the tip, thinking it was the pliers"

Wasn't a pretty sight! A

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

3 core is available on ebay in 0.75mm upwards sold by the metre.
Reply to
Bob Minchin

Yes. Snag is the physical size. 0.5mm is what's needed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)