source of bath 1650mm or so long?

Hi there I'm looking to source an (acrylic, preferably 8mm thick) bath of size 1650mm * 700mm. Our bathroom will (just) take a 1700mm bath but we are thinking of fitting a stud wall at one hend to mount the (electric) shower on and conceal the wiring/plumbing etc.

I have seen 1600mm baths but throwing 4 inches away for this wall seems a lot to me. Does anyone know of any 1650mm or so long? We only have 700mm width to play with.

Thanks for any pointers.

Cheers Jon N

Reply to
Jon Nicoll

Bette do a 1650 x 750 steel bath (model: BetteSet) - I know you were looking for Acrylic but just in case that is any help.

John

Reply to
John Durham

It may be possible to embed a 1700mm bath 25mm into the wall at both ends. That way you get a cheap standard full size bath. When I fitted my bath, I had 25mm too much length. Soon sorted with hammer and chisel (no SDS at the time). It also makes sealing easier and more effective.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Sorry - please ignore last reply - I missed your need for 700 width....

Reply to
John Durham

Hi Christian

Hmm ... to spell this out, since we will be having this stud wall, it would then have to butt up to the top surface of the bath (poor ASCII art attempt follows):

proper wall -> | ... | stud wall -> | | | | | | | | ____*|__@| / | / | SIDE VIEW / | of BATH / | / | ----------------------- |

And the seal to the stud wall (to be tiled) would be at (*).

Are you saying that this seal would be 'easier and more effective' than the alternative (which would be sealing at (@), if you think of my 'proper wall' as actually being the stud wall ... if you get me ...

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon Nicoll

Yes. This is because there will be a rolled end. If you butt up, then it is difficult to seal.

i.e.

Butted:

| SEAL-> | < Wall -------- | / BATH \| | ------| | | | | | |

Embedded: | SEAL-> +-+ < Wall -------- | / \| | ------| | | +-+ | | |

In the embedded case, there is a nice join with an underlying horizontal surface. Easy to seal. In the butted case, the bath starts dropping away, giving a cavity that requires filling and encouraging the water to run away from the bath and down the wall.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I like to put a shelf in under the bath edge, so that the bath nearly sits on it, securing and sealing the shelf to the wall. A tiny bead of silicone seals the bath to the shelf. This gives storage for ready-to-use bath salts, shampoos, back brushes and so forth.

J.B.

Reply to
jerrybuilt

Thanks for that. They do every combination imaginable :-

BetteForm 140x70(42) BetteForm 150x70(42) BetteForm 160x70(42) BetteForm 160x75(42) BetteForm 165x75(42) BetteForm 170x70(42) BetteForm 170x73(42) BetteForm 170x75(42) BetteForm 170x80(42) BetteForm 175x75(42) BetteForm 180x80(42) BetteForm 190x80(42)

And that's just one model...

SpeedyC