source for staircase balustrade

Can anybody recommend a source for staircase balustrade components? I've seen the Richard Burbidge stuff at my local timber merchant and local B&Q, but it seems expensive and I would like to find an alternative just to compare price. A Google search only comes up with links that eventually lead back to Burbidge.

Reply to
petek

Howdens or Magnet

David

Reply to
Lobster

I have noticed Wickes do their own equivalent, but I never compared the prices. I made my own by planning down 34mm x 34mm timber as I wanted square ones. The real square ones were much more expensive, and all banana shaped.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Screwfix are reasonable for these things.

Reply to
John Rumm

You want a wood turner - try the Yellow Pages. Note, for this small quantity, some may not be interested, so make sure you know what you want before you call, to save (their) time. You may find someone who's got stock ready. Having them made will likely be cheaper than Burbidge.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Howdens joiner

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

I went with Richard Burbidge stuff via Stair Parts Online -

They were significantly cheaper than B&Q and their system worked wonderfully for me. Request a brouchure via the Stair Parts website and I think you'll get a full catalogue listing all the parts, how they fit together for different stair configurations etc. It all seems simple, but actually there can be some situations where things won't work as you expect and the catalogue explains it all.

To be honest, there might be cheaper things out there, but for me, it was cheaper than going with the Wickes own brand stuff, which in my local one, was often damaged and rarely had the pieces I was looking for.

Sorry if I sound like I'm harping on about Richard Burbidge, but I really found their system wonderfully easy, well documented, well manufactured, and reasonably priced. With Stair Parts Online, I ordered one day, and it was delivered 2 days later. Well packaged, everything there (except one decorative cap to go on top of the newel post which wouldn't delay the job, but they posted out a day or so later).

If I remember correctly, total price for staircase and landing balustrading was £220 - £70 cheaper than B&Q, even after the £15 delivery fee I paid. I paid just 75% of the B&Q price online after delivery.

Example of price differences (taken from my old spreadsheet I produced, all inc VAT) - spindles - £2.94 at B&Q, were £1.88 online - when buying

40 of them, it makes a £30 saving. 3.6m pine handrail was £46.50 at B&Q, online it was just £33. Similarly, 3.6m baserail was £30 at B&Q, online was £18. Newel post at B&Q was £22, online just £11 - half the price!

Oh, and I bought the demo video from B&Q for £5, which Richard Burbidge will refund if you spent > £100 on their parts. They also claim to have a free design/assistance service to confirm/provide a list of which parts you would need.

Had I gone with Wickes stuff, it would have taken longer than the 2 days it took me to do it as it would have required far more joinery skills to assemble.

David Hearn

In message , petek writes

Have a look at

or google barnfather mouldings (same company)

their spindles range from 90p to £2.82 in pine and £1.65 to £4.92 in mahogany all plus vat. Other woods available to order!!

I used them several years ago and the quality was very good and appearance almost identical to Burbage

Reply to
David Underwood