Source for small parts

My local one does have 'assorted sizes' boxes of things like this - a bit like Screwfix.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When I use a .signature, as in the post you just quoted, I use a signature separator. When I don't use a .signature, I don't.

My name isn't my signature. It's my name.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

But what quality? Maplin were always at the lower end of the quality range for this sort of thing. Bit like using WD40 instead of the correct lubricant or penetrating oil. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In this context, "signature" means something special - the fixed text you always append to a post. And it's considered polite to seperate it from the post with a special string "-- " (the space is significant) so people's newsreaders can automatically remove it.

Reply to
Huge

Yes, I know what a signature is and how it works. But I don't always use a signature. My name is not part of my signature, and doesn't belong in it, even when I have one.

While we're wallowing in egg-sucking territory, you might like to set your news client to wrap text to a more convenient-for-other-people 72 columns.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

IIRC, they were branded with one of those distributor names like BlackSpur, Draper, etc - so likely to be variable in quality.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Err, isn't that just what a sig is? Many, of course, add extra information. But you don't have to.

FWIW, my newsreader allows you to create an individual sig for each and every newsgroup you subscribe to. So I could have just 'dave' if I wanted.

Looks fine here.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

are good for small quantities of stainless steel fasteners. They seem to be quite happy to put a couple each of machine screws, nuts and washers in ziploc bags in a jiffy bag and post them. IIRC the postage charges are sensible too. Better than having your house fill up with boxes containing 98 spares of some odd size of screw that you only need to replace once in a hundred years...

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

Suit yourself.

*plonk*
Reply to
Huge

In message , Huge writes

yeah - fuckim

Reply to
geoff

It might be for Hyacinth, but personally, if I'm in the middle of a job, I want to get it finished, not wait three days for something that you may or may not be able to source online

I maintain a comprehensive stock of nuts screws washers and bolts (and other punchlines) at work, but there's always something that needs a non-standard component, so I salvage such bits when throwing equipment out

Reply to
geoff

I suppose from one point of view your name *is* your signature :-)

Personally I think a name in the message is fine, anything longer should be sigsepped.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida) saying something like:

In terms of what might be nearest and most convenient to you - find a decent motor factors, not a Halfords or Johhny-go-brightly shop, a factors that sells proper bits for owners to fettle their cars with brake pads, suspension bits, bushes, oils, paints, etc. They will have assortment boxes they can fish about in for you.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon